You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

donl1150

Wednesday, June 28th 2017, 3:34pm

A system in the wilderness

I am about to begin installation of a system at our lake home in northern Minnesota. We are about 45 miles from the nearest town and there are no local code worries about this installation.

Since the home is heated via a geothermal heat pump system we have a very robust water supply. I plan on using it as the supply rather than fool around with pumping from the lake. I have tested the system and I can easily get 12 gpm @ 40 psi from the well.

I have a couple of questions about the installation:

* The home is one level and the yard to be irrigated slopes nicely downhill from the house. Would there be any issues simply using an existing outside hose bib connection to feed the system? The line supplying the hose bib is 1”. I don’t see any potential for back flow issues but was considering using a simple check valve anyway. I would disconnect the system for the winter.
 Do you see any issues with this arrangement?

* Since I live in the wilderness, access to a contractor for seasonal winterizing is not possible. Do you think if I installed a cross fitting at each sprinkler head connection and installed an automatic drain at each one I would not have to blow out the system for winter? I would also naturally have a drain at all appropriate low points.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 28th 2017, 4:40pm

Make a connection directly to the one inch plumbing, and forget the hose bib. That will eliminate any possible flow restrictions, and allow you full use of the supply. You can use antisyphon zone valves and gain genuine backflow protection without spending a lot of extra money.

Instead of complicated drain plumbing, you can use combination swing-pipe drain fittings for each head.

Rate this thread