You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jntlee

Starting Member

Sunday, June 25th 2017, 4:44pm

unknown source of leak

Hi, all. The water use indicator needle by the water shutoff is circling constantly even though nobody is using water and the sprinkler is off. But it stops when the sprinkler shutoff switch is turned off. So there seems a leak somewhere in the sprinker system. When the sprinkler is on, all the heads seem strong. So I don't see how it could be so if there is a leak.

A city inspector came out (because they noticed that our water bill shot up by extra $200), noticed that some water dripping from the backflow preventer and suggested that it is the backflow preventer that is faulty. I replaced the bonnet and it didn't help. When I turn off the inflow to the backflow system, the needle stops (i.e. the leak stops). When I turn the outflow switch, the needle stops as well. So I am puzzled because in my simplistic understanding of how the backflow preventer works, it means there is no leak in the backflow preventer system.

Is it possible that it could still be leaky? I see water drip from it on and off, but not by much. If not, can there be a leak after the backflow system? If so, where should I look? How is it possible that the sprinklers work strong if there is a leak somewhere?

I am certainly willing to replace the whole backflow preventer system if that would fix the leak but it just doesn't seem to me that that is the cause. Any idea or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks much. -jin