You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, June 16th 2017, 9:29am

One Zone runs with every other one!

Hi -- new to the forum for reasons that will be obvious! I have large yard with an irrigation system that is about ten years old. there are 22 zones, each running three heads. I've been doing all the servicing opening/closing now for quite a few years and it's gone smoothly. this year when I opened, i saw that one of the zones (11) goes on with every other zone. Is there a simple way to troubleshoot? a valve stuck open? I've looked in the boxes around the yard looking for a chewed or loose wire but nothing. my wife has been doing some spring planting, and said she saw some of the wires while digging (actually not unusual) but swears she did not nick or cut anything. Any thoughts or tips? thanks in advance. john

mrfixit

Friday, June 16th 2017, 12:18pm

It sounds like you have a master valve or the wire at the controller was moved to the master/pump terminal.
Your wife's off the hook. She didn't do it.
Find the problem valve and replace or repair it. It's probably just the diaphragm.

Wednesday, June 21st 2017, 8:59am

thank you very much! any idea how to go about that? are the valves in the boxes I see around my yard? how do I see if one is bad? thanks again!

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 21st 2017, 12:23pm

You need to locate the problem valve. Since you know where all the boxes are and you have a good idea which box the problem valve might be in, I'd turn on a valve at the timer to a a valve that's on the opposite side of the yard from the problem valve, then I'd go open the box or boxes where I think the problem valve might be and listen to locate it.
If the valves have flow controls, once you find a valve you think is the broken one try turning the flow control off and see if it impeded's the flow of water. If so you've found the correct valve that needs repair.
While the valve is stuck on, remove one of the wires from it, did it shut off? No then it's the valve, yes and it's the timer or wiring. I'm predicting no.

Rate this thread