You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tinman

Monday, May 29th 2017, 5:43pm

Controllers run for a few seconds/minutes, then shut off.

Im sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it in the first several pages, so Im starting anew.

On one timer, I have 5 sections. I'd noticed the valve on 1 was bad and the PVC had cracked on 2. So I replaced the line on 2 and valve on 1. No problem.
However, now lines 2-5 will only run a few seconds at a time. Sometimes the wires will get corroded and will cause this but Ive gone though everything and cleaned up the haphazard 30 year old wiring job.
However, Im still having the same issue.
It's kind of a mix of parts from Obrit and Irritol valves and timers.

Any ideas?

mrfixit

Monday, May 29th 2017, 6:52pm

Are you on a pump or a well?
How many minutes is each station programmed for and which model timer is it?

Tinman

Tuesday, May 30th 2017, 2:42pm

Are you on a pump or a well?
How many minutes is each station programmed for and which model timer is it?
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
On a pump from an irrigation ditch, into a 1500 gallon holding tank.

Off that timer (Orbit 27896), each station is set for 25 minutes, twice a day @6:00am and 1:00pm

One issue I had was line 1 came on regardless what line was running. Turned out the solenoid just wasn't tight enough.
But now, station 1 runs the full 25 minutes, then everything shuts off once it makes the switch to station 2.
I can do it manually, but it just runs for a few seconds then shuts down.

This is station (left to right) 1, 2 and 3, before I replaced the valve on 1 and the broken pipe on 2, just post valve.

[img]https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AAAH4SlNOeJXl5_MlX_a6PTgbuSa6OOID_W_6w_9ROcMcA/12/148055712/jpeg/32x32/1/_/1/2/20170528_162929.jpg/EIH2nXEYpAYgBygH/V_knJk51x7j5Vo6DNy69XVSFtNb8I2Djt3pzgV9dMAc%2CiTKTxdftZCgFapoNTwo8n5-QnF5vMsPkBy_xNQvQc2Q?size=2048x1536&size_mode=3[/img]

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 31st 2017, 3:56am

I can't access your photo. You could go to www.tinypic.com, upload the pic and cut in paste the forum code here.

Sounds like the wiring might be messed up or the solenoid on number 2's bad.

Tinman

Thursday, June 1st 2017, 10:32am

I can't access your photo. You could go to www.tinypic.com, upload the pic and cut in paste the forum code here.

Sounds like the wiring might be messed up or the solenoid on number 2's bad.
Ive checked and double checked the wiring, and rewired much of it. Its pretty simple. Power, Ground. The solenoid was my last thought. I'll swap that out.

Tinman

Saturday, June 3rd 2017, 3:00pm

Meant to get back to this earlier this week.
I wound up having to rewire he 30 year old system. Most of the wiring was so corroded, Im surprised it lasted this long.
but #2 solenoid was bad as well. Runs like champ now! Thanks for the input.