You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

borkborkbork

Unregistered

Monday, May 29th 2017, 4:45pm

Hunter Pro-C system - valve won't shut off (but only in program mode)

Hi all,

New here. I just inherited a Hunter Pro-C controlled irrigation system in the house I'm renting. It's been working fine for weeks, but a new problem just started and I'm at my wits end figuring it out...

-Hunter Pro-C controller
-9 stations, 6-8 sprinklers each station
-Valves/Pumps nearly inaccessible underneath a deck
-Only one program that runs each station in succession, 3x a week, once a day.
-Checked the controller and confirmed that every station, run time, and program that shouldn't be on is zeroed out or off.

Here's the problem: Station FOUR will not SHUT OFF when its runtime is over. The program will move on, opening/shutting the next stations, but Four will just keep on pumping until I manually screw the sprinkler heads shut. Even switching the controller to "System Off" does NOTHING to affect this station.

So, I do it the hard way -- screw the whole station shut sprinkler by sprinkler -- and lo and behold, the water pressure subsides. The valve/pump to the station shuts itself off. I open the sprinklers again and test the thing a few times on Manual, and yup -- station 4 can independently shut on and off with signals from the controller. I leave, thinking it's a fluke...

Then two days later, same problem. Flooded yard because Station 4 ran for an hour and a half before I woke up to notice. System off? Useless. Screwed each sprinkler head in station 4 shut again, called my landlord, and am now waiting for somebody who did NOT install the system to come diagnose it. I'm skeptical because it's going to APPEAR TO WORK under manual conditions; it's only early in the morning under the auto "program" mode that the failure happens.

Any thoughts? If I do get the stomach to crawl under the deck and look at the valve, what am I looking for? If it's wiring or obstruction, as all the help guides say, then why can I make it work in manual mode and it's only the program that's messed up?

PS - The only setting on the controller I'm not sure about is "PUMP" -- right now everything is set to "ON" but should I try setting it "OFF" for station 4?

Thanks so much, geniuses...

mrfixit

Monday, May 29th 2017, 6:49pm

It sounds like the diaphragm in the valve is getting old.
Turning the flow control down a bit might help. That might keep the valve running for a long time. Might not. Could stick on again at any time.
You could try moving the number 4 wire to come on last. When it shuts off it'll be under full pressure. That's just a temp. fix until it floods again.
Take a pic of the valves if you can so we can see.

Rate this thread