You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

04FXDI

Tuesday, May 2nd 2017, 1:35pm

Watts 800M4FR help Please

Looking to replace the leaky worn out unit on my girls system, the sprinkler guy came out to open it a few weeks back, I had to swap out a few heads which was every easy due to the abundant videos on youtube, I've done sprinkler work back in the 80s on a golf course but never changed anything like this. (Watts)
I'm mechanical and know my way around a tool box, basic plumbing and electrical. Just wondering if this is something better off left to the Pro's? At the cost he wants to charge her I can buy a new unit for less then half.
Curious what steps need to be taken in order to do it.
Thanks in advance for helping the new guy.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 2nd 2017, 11:43pm

Here's what I recommend. Take a look at the job. Do you think you can do it? I say yes! If you mess it up you can always call the sprinkler guy back. By that time you'll already have the new parts and you should only have to pay for a minimum charge service call and maybe a few fittings. That's how I see it anyway. In my business a service call covers one hour. Anything after that costs extra. He should be able to do it in an hour.

04FXDI

Wednesday, May 3rd 2017, 4:36am

Thanks for the input, it really doesn't look that difficult. Seems like shutting down the main line, remove, replace.

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 3rd 2017, 10:48am

It shouldn't be that difficult. Go to Youtube and look at videos on how to do it to give yourself a little confidence. That's what I do when I try something new on one of my vehicles. I converted my car from air shocks to regular shocks and springs by watching a video. Wasn't that hard. I'm just like you, why should I pay a guy to do it if there's a chance I can fix it?