You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

diymark

Sunday, April 30th 2017, 7:33pm

EZ controller for 6 times per day

Hello, New to the forum and looking for some guidance. I have a 3 station system in my front yard. Station 1 and 3 are low pressure drip. Station 2 is standard pressure that waters small grass area with overhead stream sprinklers. I live in southern California where we are under watering restrictions that allows only 2 days per week for overhead sprinklers. Bottom line I'm trying to come up with a strategy to keep the lawn area green without hand watering. My thought is to water the lawn area a great deal on my designated watering days but in short intervals to minimize run off. My current controller only supports 3 start times per station, which I currently have it coming on at 5:30am, 8am, and 8pm for 3 minutes each start time (longer and I just get run off into the gutter). I'm thinking doubling the number of start time (i.e. six or more) with 30 minutes between each run would soak the lawn more but keep the run off to a minimal.
I have a Rain Bird simple-to-set controller for the backyard and I really like it. However it too only supports 4 start times per station. One thought I had would be to buy another (2nd) simple-to-set controller connected in parallel to the lawn station valve to give me 7 total start times (not sure hit that would work) between the old controller and the new one. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance. Mark

mrfixit

Monday, May 1st 2017, 2:34am

Hi Mark, watering 7 times a day would be over kill. With you being able to water only 2 days a week your goal is to keep your grass alive until the water restrictions are lifted. Jerry Brown's declared the state's drought over so your city may lift the restrictions soon.

Maybe call the city and ask them why the restrictions haven't been lifted and will they be lifted soon? I know some cities sell off their water at the expense of the locals.

Can I ask what city you're in?

I have people who water twice a day at two days a week and we've managed to keep things alive. I believe the timer you have now will suffice.

What you could do is add polymers to your lawn. They absorb water supplying the lawn on days you can't water.
Polymers

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 2nd 2017, 11:36pm)

diymark

Tuesday, May 2nd 2017, 12:19pm

Thanks for the guidance. I live in Dana Point, which is south orange county. No hint of restrictions being lifted. Most of my neighbors have removed their lawns or doing stealth watering at risk. I'm holding on to a small 20x30 patch... removed the rest and put in plants with drip (no restrictions on drip watering). I like grass and prefer green grass. Most is hanging in there but have a couple of areas where it dries out between watering and goes brown. I'm trying to follow the rules and nothing bugs me more than run off. Like seeing money run down the street.
I have not heard of those polymers. It looks like they need to be in the soil? Or can they be applied on the surface?
Thanks again for the reply. All is appreciated.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 2nd 2017, 11:37pm

Ok click on the link again. I fixed it so it works now. They guy just applies it to the lawn just like you would fertilizer. Take a look. Polymers

Rate this thread