You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

LarsB

Monday, February 13th 2017, 1:52pm

Just fixed the pump and it still doesn't pull the water from the well

Goulds Pumps, ITT GT20 was severely leaking and it was not using well water, could only work with city water. Someone quoted me $900 to replace the whole pump, but I was thinking why, if the motor works? I found the parts for $100 and replaced it and it wasn't too bad, unfortunately the pump is still not pulling the well water.
On top of that it leaks from a weird place, that I don't know how to describe, I'm including a photo, i couldn't get any better as there is no easy access to that spot. I don't believe water was coming from there before, but now it shoots out pretty strong, there was no mention of that spot anywhere and have no idea what to think about it.
Any idea what should be my next step?

TIA

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 13th 2017, 2:11pm

RE: Just fixed the pump and it still doesn't pull the water from the well

Goulds Pumps, ITT GT20 was severely leaking and it was not using well water, could only work with city water. Someone quoted me $900 to replace the whole pump, but I was thinking why, if the motor works? I found the parts for $100 and replaced it and it wasn't too bad, unfortunately the pump is still not pulling the well water.
On top of that it leaks from a weird place, that I don't know how to describe, I'm including a photo, i couldn't get any better as there is no easy access to that spot. I don't believe water was coming from there before, but now it shoots out pretty strong, there was no mention of that spot anywhere and have no idea what to think about it.
Any idea what should be my next step?

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/larsb8…gx4bl5.jpg.html
We can't see the photos as you inserted the webpage addresses instead of the image addresses. This reply will give others viewing access to them.

The casting with the nameplate on it is just the connector between pump and motor. If water is coming from along the motor shaft, then you need to replace the shaft seal of the pump. The photos aren't clear enough for me to guess further.

Has this pump been exposed to freezing weather?

LarsB

Monday, February 13th 2017, 2:44pm

Thank you for the reply. I don't know these boards too well or how they work. I thought I have inserted the photos (used the little icon and inserted the URL there) and they showed in my post the way I thought they would, I guess not so on other computers.

Anyways, the water is leaking from a little appendage or a protrusion for lack of better word. It is cast iron and it been made as part of the cover, it doesn't leak from the shaft. I just don't understand a need for something like that. It's one side only as well. One of the photos that I circled if you look carefully you will make it out as something sticking out of the cover and it has a very little hole. And it's all factory made, purpose of which I cannot even guess.

And no, no freezing weather its located in SFL (south Florida)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 13th 2017, 6:29pm

That casting has drain outlets near the bottom. Maybe you have a broken plug or drain valve leaking water.

By the way, pump aside, a reason that some Florida systems have "pump failure" is that the water table goes down below the effective operating range.

LarsB

Tuesday, February 14th 2017, 10:15am

Thanks again for the reply, is that what it is? Drain plug? It's just a tiny 1/16" hole. Should I just plug it with a screw or something?

More importantly how do I test whether the water level is too low? It's been raining over the summer and fall very nicely here, I'd think all the water supply would refill itself, but it's not been pulling water for quite awhile now. What else can I check for? Any kind of valves?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 14th 2017, 7:44pm

Sure, try anything. Unless the pump is very old, or has had water freezing in it, mysterious holes are not likely to be appearing in the cast iron. If your leak is centered in a raised portion of the casting, that would indicate a drain hole, usually 1/4-inch or 1/8-inch female pipe thread, which, in your case likely has the remains of a plug or drain valve in it.

LarsB

Wednesday, February 15th 2017, 11:48am

I'll try to plug it with something, thank you.

How about my second question? How do I go about the pump not pumping well water, but it does work with city water. How do I determine what is causing it not to pull the well water, how would a professional go about it? Can anyone help here?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 16th 2017, 9:59am

I think you have to get the pump into operating condition before you worry it lifting water.

LarsB

Thursday, February 16th 2017, 1:44pm

I am a little bit confused as to what I am supposed to do now? Pump is pumping city water, sprinklers are spraying the water onto the lawn, so it seem as it is working. That little drain hole cannot be possibly affecting the pumping of the water from the well, can it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 16th 2017, 1:56pm

Pumps boosting city water pressure are not lifting the water. Big difference. Many problems with shallow-well pumps have to do with air leaking in on the suction side.

Rate this thread