You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hilltop

Friday, February 3rd 2017, 7:25pm

too much pressure downhill

I have a drip system on a hill that goes down in elevation 50 yards. There are fruit trees planted all along the hill. A single valve with 1-1/2" pipe is in place. The pressure is 60 PSI at the top of the hill from a 12 GPM well that steadily increases to 120 PSI at the bottom of the hill. I would like to reduce the pressure so it is consistent enough at all elevations to be suitable for drip irrigation. I was thinking about adding pressure regulators at intervals, but need suggestions on which type or other ideas that would work here.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "hilltop" (Feb 3rd 2017, 7:36pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, February 4th 2017, 9:57am

Are the trees planted in terraces, or in rows like you would see with terraces?

hilltop

Saturday, February 4th 2017, 6:28pm

Presently it is pretty linear downward, but in the future terracing is planned so suggestions relevant to either layout are welcome.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 5th 2017, 7:06pm

I think your solution will involve drip lines for each row of trees at the same elevation. The next question is how many trees (in how many rows) are there to water, and how many can be watered at one time.

hilltop

Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 6:51pm

That sounds like the idea I have proposed and I can work out those things. Are there any suggestions on choosing pressure regulators? There is a great variance in pricing.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 8th 2017, 6:37pm

look at Netafim pressure reducers - they claim an operating pressure as high as 145 psi, and flows as low as 0.25 gpm - the lowest flows could handle more than 40 horizontal rows of trees, if your 12 gpm supply is evenly divided

Rate this thread