You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jbsmith_05

Unregistered

Sunday, November 20th 2016, 6:50am

Blowout - Wilkins Zurn 950XLT?

first - I'm in the south east - just south of Charlotte NC...so I don't know if people blow our their systems here or not, but it can get cold during the winter - into the teens overnight but usually not for more than a few days in a row...and the highs (albeit only for a few hours) in the winter are hardly ever below freezing - usually in the mid 30s - 40s

That said my system is 100% outside as we don't have basements here...so my system shutoff is in a valve box next to my water meter, and then I have two other valve boxes - one for the double check backflow device and my valves.

My backflow device is a wilkins zurn 950XLT. There are no other ports on my system other than the 4 test cocks on the backflow.

How do I blow out my system? Or is it necessary? I'm on a slope so a lot of the water probably drains out...but I just now turned it off and my sprinklers have check valves in them because of the slope so they don't leak for hours after they are cycled off. So because of that I assume there's a lot of water in system.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 20th 2016, 11:42am

The only way you know you do need to blow out the system is to do nothing and see damage next year. :)

Go ahead and use a testcock as the air connection. Clean air. No tool oiler in the circuit.

jbsmith_05

Unregistered

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 5:29pm

The only way you know you do need to blow out the system is to do nothing and see damage next year. :)

Go ahead and use a testcock as the air connection. Clean air. No tool oiler in the circuit.

Which testcock - the one closest to the outlet of the backflow device or on the inlet side?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 23rd 2016, 7:23am

For a double check valve assembly, go with the inlet side, so you clear out maximum water.

jbsmith_05

Unregistered

Wednesday, November 23rd 2016, 7:29am

For a double check valve assembly, go with the inlet side, so you clear out maximum water.
Really? I thought I've read / watched multiple places that said to not blow through the backflow?

jbsmith_05

Unregistered

Wednesday, November 23rd 2016, 4:11pm

I went ahead and did it - started with #4 test cock to blow out the zones, then left #4 open and hooked up to #2 to "gently" blow out the backflow device...

Guess we'll see if all is well next year when the backflow device is checked.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, November 24th 2016, 12:05pm

Really? I thought I've read / watched multiple places that said to not blow through the backflow?
The advice against blowing through the devices comes from the existence of jackhammer compressors that put out boiling-water-hot airflow, which can and will melt plastic components and pipe.