You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Merccooper

Starting Member

Wednesday, November 2nd 2016, 9:37am

Valve box full of mud and rock

Hi All,
I recently bought a house that is about 16 years old. I'm just working my way towards purging the system for winter (I'm in central New York state). I've located two underground valve boxes (I'd say they are about 1 foot by 2 foot). I've opened them up to find they are nearly full to the top with mud and (some) drainage rock. I've removed nearly all the debris from one using a shop vac and about to start on the other one when I questioned, does it matter if they are full?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, November 5th 2016, 12:37pm

great question

This takes me back to my Army Days.

'If you don't mind, IT Don't Matter."

But enough fun.

It only matters when you have a problem and have to access the valve.
If I were you I would not worry about it until you have to.

You may never have a problem.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, November 5th 2016, 1:25pm

Keep up with the removal efforts, and depending on what valves are in the box, you may save on a service call or two. The reason for this is that a deep valve box will stay warmer in the winter. The deeper you can dig out, the warmer it will stay. This extra warmth can save a certain valve solenoid from freezing damage.

Rate this thread