You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aresuu

Thursday, September 8th 2016, 9:22pm

TOE Nipple Question

I am looking at the PPN-10-40 1 in. MPT Sch. 80 PVC Pipe Nipple (4 in. Long) . If this nipple is cut in half to use as TOE nipple, is the body the correct diameter to use as a spigot for a slip fitting? I bought an Orbit shrub riser at a big box store and it seems too small for a good tight joint in a slip fitting.
I also see this one 884-040 1 in. MPT 4 in. Sch. 80 PVC Pipe Nipple . Is it any different?
Any other or better source options for TOE nipples?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 9th 2016, 6:30am

"machined" is the necessary appellation to the part number for a sch 80 nipple that can be cut in half to form a pair of TOE nipples

P.S. - nobody stocks them, so figure on having to special order those "machined" nipples by the full carton - 25 piece minimum

aresuu

Friday, September 9th 2016, 11:26am

Thank you Wet_Boots.
A machined, not molded, nipple was my conclusion also. I was hoping to learn that one of these SW parts might be machined, or maybe I was missing some other option on the website.

If SW doesn't have them, is anyone able to provide a machined nipple source I might use? I am really looking for 1" x 6" or 1" x 8", not the 4" lg in my original post.

mrfixit

Friday, September 9th 2016, 6:11pm

The second link you posted. The second picture. That nipple is machined.

Why don't you call Sprinkler Warehouse and ask them if you can buy a machined nipple?

I wouldn't bother asking a question on their site. They ignored my question I asked two weeks ago about buying specific products.

aresuu

Saturday, September 10th 2016, 9:30am

I will call them Monday.
Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, September 10th 2016, 11:13am

If you need only a few of them, they may be easier to get at a pro supply, should they carry some odd-number sizes. It is a sure bet that a separate mold was never created for every length of pipe nipple in the manufacturer catalog. A 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 sch 80 machined nipple won't be there, but you might luck out with 1 x 5 or 1 x 7

aresuu

Saturday, September 10th 2016, 12:38pm

I need a minimum of 25 TBE nipples, so plan to buy about 30. I do have several local pro supply options to fall back on if I need to get their help.

I will want TOE nipples from 2-4" lg, so I'm thinking I will go with about a 6"; 7" is even better.

I believe what you say about the odd lengths being more likely to be machined. I found on the LASCO website that up to 10" lg, all of their 1" TBE nipples are molded except for the X-1/2" lengths. I would take 5-1/2" or 7-1/2" if I found them. Of course all of their TOE nipples are machined.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 11th 2016, 10:09am

If you are thinking of using TOE nipples in combination with sch 40 tees and elbows and crosses to make valve manifold fittings, that will work with 1 x 2 TOE nipples, so you can use 1 x 4 machined nipples.

aresuu

Monday, September 12th 2016, 10:13pm

If you are thinking of using TOE nipples in combination with sch 40 tees and elbows and crosses to make valve manifold fittings, that will work with 1 x 2 TOE nipples, so you can use 1 x 4 machined nipples.

That is exactly what I am planning to do with the nipples, at least most of them. I want some flexibility with length for some situations though, so will get at least some of the longer ones.

BTW, Sprinkler Warehouse told me today that they cannot provide machined nipples from any of their suppliers.

Known sources would be appreciated!

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 13th 2016, 2:18am

I've bought product from Excalibur before.
I don't know about their nipples though. I don't know if they're designed to be cut in half and glued.
The pipe I bought from them was excellent.
I did have a problem with customer service. Took a while to get exactly what I wanted.
One of the items I ordered was out of stock and they said it would cost 1200 dollars to make a run. It took weeks for them to relay that to me. So that didn't happen.
Once my order was straightened out it came right away.

The nipples should be sitting on the shelf.

Well I read the page I linked. It states the nipples ARE designed to be cut n half and glued.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Sep 13th 2016, 4:58am)

Rate this thread