You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tsfrance

Tuesday, September 6th 2016, 8:38pm

Frost Free Hydrant Faucet For Water Supply

Hello. I am putting in a lawn that is approximately 33x35 and I will be using four sprinklers, one on each corner. I will only need one valve and I need to use a anti-siphon valve. My water source is going to be one of those frost free hydrant faucets. I want to be sure of the best way to hook up to my supply for the anti-siphon valve. My thought was too remove the faucet part from the top and then add in a tee and then re-attach the faucet. Then I can run a new line out from the tee and onto the ground where I can then attach to my anti-siphon valve. Does that make sense and is that the way to do it? I have posted a photo to show what these things look like. We do get some snow here and some very cold mornings. Thank you for any help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 6th 2016, 9:54pm

Just connect to what is there. Use a hose thread adapter and a tee. The principle is the same as if you were connecting to a hose bib on the house.

tsfrance

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 10:24am

Just connect to what is there. Use a hose thread adapter and a tee. The principle is the same as if you were connecting to a hose bib on the house.
Thank you. So it's pretty much how I thought? Remove the faucet part and add a tee put the faucet back on and then get my water coming out of the tee? Thanks again.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 11:14am

I'm not sure that is what WB is suggesting. How are you going to control this valve? If you are going to run it manually you might as well just tap off the end of the hydrant.

tsfrance

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 12:44pm

I'm not sure that is what WB is suggesting. How are you going to control this valve? If you are going to run it manually you might as well just tap off the end of the hydrant.
I was going to do what i described above and then run my pipe from the tee to a anti-siphon valve. It's right next to a shed that has power in there so I can use an electric valve.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 3:51pm

The only hose thread on that hydrant is the outlet, onto which you thread an adapter and a tee. You take apart nothing.

tsfrance

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 4:12pm

The only hose thread on that hydrant is the outlet, onto which you thread an adapter and a tee. You take apart nothing.
Ok. I get it. If I did it that way though would I not need to leave the handle in the up position? If I did that Im not sure how I would shut off the hose outlet. I guess Im not visualizing it properly.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 4:58pm

You have to imagine it to be just like a hose bib on the outside wall of your house. You only add onto it. Once the adapter and tee are in place, you install a new hose bib on one branch, and a shutoff valve on the other branch, which feeds the sprinkler system..

Yes, the handle will stay up the entire season, and so what? These things are built. And, by the way, they are made with a built-in drain that would never permit you to partially disassemble the hydrant and thread a tee in place of the handle assembly.

tsfrance

Wednesday, September 7th 2016, 7:40pm

You have to imagine it to be just like a hose bib on the outside wall of your house. You only add onto it. Once the adapter and tee are in place, you install a new hose bib on one branch, and a shutoff valve on the other branch, which feeds the sprinkler system..

Yes, the handle will stay up the entire season, and so what? These things are built. And, by the way, they are made with a built-in drain that would never permit you to partially disassemble the hydrant and thread a tee in place of the handle assembly.
Ok, I think I get on it now. On that tee will be the pipe that runs to the sprinkler valve and on the other end of the tee will be a normal faucet. Thanks.

tsfrance

Thursday, September 8th 2016, 6:43pm

So what size PVC pipe should I use? I know I will be using schedule 40 but I am unsure about the size of the pipe. Its been about 20 years since I did my last one. :)