You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

westchild

Starting Member

Saturday, August 20th 2016, 9:19am

High pressure, low GPM

My hose bib is measuring 70 psi of standing water. However, the flow rate is a depressing 3 GPM.

A little bit about my setup: I have 3/4" pex throughout the house which eventually branches off into 1/2" before meeting the hose bib. The runs of pex are very long throughout the house.

There is a pressure regulator about 12" after the water meter in my basement, but it has already been "opened" all the way with very little change to flow. There is also a water softener about 4 feet after the pressure regulator. For reference, I have a hose bib about 2 feet after the water softener. Pressure there measures 90 psi, and the flow rate from that hookup is 12 GPM.

First question is, should I back the pressure regulator down, because 90 psi seems a bit high for the household?

Next question is, what should I do? My goal is to hook up a few 6 head zones, but I don't think that's possible. With 3 GPM, would I be able to hook up 3 head zones instead, or does each head require more than 1 gpm?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 20th 2016, 11:58am

You should tee off for the sprinkler system at the water meter outlet, upstream of any valves or regulators, to get the most flow.