You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Munch7707

Unregistered

Monday, August 15th 2016, 2:35pm

Smartbox to valves to pump placement

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of planning and designing our irrigation system at our new house that was just built. The subdivision we live in has a pond and we have rights to pump from it for irrigation water because it's fed from an irrigation canal. Our pump will be about 380 feet from the house and I was going to hang my smartbox and zone timer on the wall. We are able to add a 220 circuit breaker to the electrical box on the outside of the house next to where the smartbox and timer will be and I was just going to run power down to the pump.

In doing some research on Munro pumps I see they cell a pump package with housing and the smart box would actually be housed right there next to the pump. My question is, if I did this would I still just only need to run the 220 down to the smart box (because the pump actually plugs into a plug inside the housing, see http://www.munrocompanies.com/Products/Pumps/Centrifugal/CompletePRO-II). I thought the smartbox also talked to the timer and if that was the case how would the smartbox now know when to turn the pump on if it's not connected to the timer set up for the valves?

Thanks for any help

Mike

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2016, 3:08pm

You can check with the manufacturer to be certain, but it looks like the some of the Smartbox models can accept the low voltage/power pump signal from your controller

Munch7707

Unregistered

Monday, August 15th 2016, 3:47pm

You can check with the manufacturer to be certain, but it looks like the some of the Smartbox models can accept the low voltage/power pump signal from your controller
I believe they can via the Com wire from the lawn controller. When hanging on the wall next to each other this was a given but if the smartbox is almost 400' away is it as easy as just running the Com line from the lawn controller in with the power line and down to the smartbox?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2016, 8:21pm

My own preference would be to add a small pressure tank to the supply plumbing and let a pressure switch operate the pump. That saves you 400 feet of control cable, which goes towards the small pressure tank, and you get the added benefit of always having upstream pressure on the zone valves, which makes them behave better.

Munch7707

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 16th 2016, 9:59am

The pump/pond is about 25 feet below the highest point in the yard and I was planning on having a foot valve in the pond to always keep the pump primed. The pump and smartbox comes with a pressure sensor that connects from the smartbox to the pump itself. I was under the impression that this was incase the pump lost pressure the smartbox shut the pump off to avoid damage. I'm assuming this is not the same as what your talking about? I would like to have as little gadgetry down by the pump/pond as possible but this is an option. Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 16th 2016, 2:29pm

pressure tanks are not 'gadgets' - they are the heart and soul of a domestic well water supply - for your use in conjunction with a pressure switch, a tank can be as small as one of the 2-gallon tanks you can find on domestic hot water heater plumbing

Rate this thread