You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Long Nguyen

Starting Member

Sunday, August 14th 2016, 10:18am

Water leak at new installed anti siphoned valve.

I had issue with the water leak at Anti Siphone valve which was at the ground level after it shut off. The water ran for a long time and I had to shut off the main water supply valve then the leak stopped.
I reinstalled the new Anti Siphon valve plus a Check valve valve at the output side and put the valve up 2 feet high since the sprinkler heads are at higher elevation ground. I still have the same water leak problem at the Anti Siphon valve. I have no idea and I don't want to turn on and off every time to water the plants. Please help.
Thank you all for replying.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 14th 2016, 8:35pm

The antisyphon valve MUST be located higher than any pipe or sprinkler head that it feeds. This is not optional.

mrfixit

Monday, August 15th 2016, 4:37am

I live in a hilly city with lots of old systems. Many old galvanized systems. Half the systems here are installed incorrectly.
It's impossible for me to tell everyone their valves need to be at a certain height. I see them at ground level all the time.
I see valves below the sprinklers all the time. 5 feet. 10 feet. 40 feet. What can I do? I can't tell people, oh I can't work on your system because it's not up to code. I'd be out of business. I could spend the rest of my life rebuilding manifolds and installing inline valves and backflow devices. No time for that. Plus people don't want to go to that expense when in their eyes their's nothing wrong. I'm not the pushy sprinkler guy. I'm the guy who gets it working again and leaves. Sprinkler systems aren't insepcted here when a house sells. Maybe they should be. That would be a nightmare for me.
------------

If you used a spring loaded check valve it shouldn't drain there. Yes it's not legal. I'm not advising it. I'm just saying what will happen.

If it's still draining there's something wrong with the valve. Open her up and see if there's some glue inside or debris. Did you flush the manifold?

Did you replace the whole valve or just parts of it? Like a new valve adapter/converter/actuator/bonnet etc..

Do you have a picture? Go to www.tinypic.com.

Maybe you need a backflow device and inline valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2016, 10:03am

............ That would be a nightmare for me.......
People in the trades have a problem with non-compliant systems they work on, in that state laws may firmly attach blame to them, and them alone, if something goes horribly wrong connected to system backflow. There won't be any document that could release them from taking the blame, as said document can be absolutely nullified by statute.