You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 12th 2016, 12:11pm

Sprinkler station question

I have a system that came with the house we just purchased and I have a question regarding the zones...the controller is a Rainbird ESP-Modular, with expandable modules...9 zones are installed and programmed in the the controller, however, only 8 are operating, 9 does nothing. I can only locate 3 valve boxes in the yard so far, unless one is grown over. Anyway, my question is, I should have 9 valves since I have 9 stations, correct? Now if I open each valve box and count a total of 9 valves total from all 3, then I can assume station 9 is dead...anything less than 9 valves then I need to look for another valve box? I did get 26 volts on station 9 at the controller when I did a manual run on it, but no action anywhere in the yard. I should add that the whole yard is covered by stations 1 thru 8 except a strip on the other side of my driveway, I think this could be station 9. The wire is pink on the controller for station 9. Common sense would tell me to look for a pink wire in one of the valve boxes and take a voltage reading at that point. Do all valves come with a manual control to activate them at the valve itself for testing? I am thinking that if station 9 did not ever exist, why wire it up to the controller. Thank you!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 12th 2016, 5:52pm

If there was a valve connected to station 9, you could detect it by resistance measuring.

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:20am

I checked my yard this weekend, can only find 3 valve boxes containing a total of 6 valves, I have 8 operating stations, so I need to locate the other box or boxes. I am guessing they are buried in the flowerbeds or something.

Tuesday, August 16th 2016, 7:14am

I need to add that if the wire colors at the controller are the same wire colors at the valves, then I haven't located the 9th valve yet, it is pink and none of the valve boxes I've opened have a pink wired valve. The search continues......

Thursday, November 3rd 2016, 9:29am

OK, I used a copper 4 foot grounding rod I had to probe the part of the yard where the valves should be located, close to the stations they operate, I got lucky, I found two valve boxes side by side buried under some dirt and grass. Haven't opened them yet, but one should have two valves in it, the other just one. So I will manually open the valve for station 9 and see if it operates and if so, troubleshoot the valve and wiring. Hopefully it is just a bad solenoid.

Tuesday, November 8th 2016, 11:32am

Manually tested the valves inside the boxes I found, found station 9, it runs where I thought it should down the driveway and actually had a couple of extra heads located where I didn't expect any. I need to voltage check and if need resistance troubleshoot that valve and get it going.

Rate this thread