You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Pig

Thursday, August 11th 2016, 5:23pm

Zone 1 won't turn off! Replacing valve didn't fix it.

Ok, I've scoured the forums and internet but still can't figure out whats wrong with my sprinkler system.

I have a Rainbird RC-7Bi controller setup with 6 zones. The valves and heads are all Hunter.

When I open the main shutoff valve, zone 1 immediately starts spraying. It does this without running the program, even when the controller is unplugged w/no power. When I run the program and it moves from zone 1 to zone 2,3,4,5,6...zone 1 still sprays and all the other zones don't get full pressure because of it.

So figuring I had a bad diaphragm/valve/solenoid, I replaced the valve (top half - diaphragm, solenoid and all) for that zone (cleaned out all debris with fresh water). That didn't fix it. Still sprays.

There was a time when I could open the main valve and run the program, zone 1 would run and completely shut off, letting the other zones have full pressure. But once the program finished, zone 1 would come back on and I would just shut off the main valve to kill the system. This sucked because I couldn't set the program and would have to manually run the system. Now zone 1 doesn't turn off at all and the other zones don't get enough pressure.

So now I'm kinda at my wits end and don't know what to do. The system will cycle thru all zones, and once the program is finished, zone 1 comes back on and just sprays constantly. I can't run the program manually because zone 1 won't let the other zones have full pressure. All my neighbors have beautiful lawns and mine looks like crap!

Is it possible there is more than one valve for the zone? I don't know who installed the system, as it was here before we bought the house.

Please help!

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:08am

It is possible there is more than one valve for a zone, but each valve would likely control a different section of sprinklers. Are you sure you rebuilt the right valve? Try opening all the other valves one at a time and make sure something different comes on with each one. If you are sure you have the right valve you may have to replace the whole thing.

Vince

Unregistered

Thursday, August 18th 2016, 12:45am

Zone 1 won't turn off

I am having the same problem:
Zone 1 will not close when the main valve is turned on. Zones 2 & 3 work fine. The controller (my 2nd one since installing system a couple weeks ago)
I have tried the following:
-Changed valves 5x (got new valve/manifold (sets) from manufacturer and Home Depot (I now have a total of 3 manifolds sets in my possession.)
-Changed valve to a different valve from a different manufacturer (zone 1); valve #9 that I now have at time of this post.
-Connected valve w/out connecting to controller
-Changed valve in position 2 and moved to position 1
-Changed valve in position 3 and moved to position 1
-Changed the wires on both new commercial valve and original valve
-changed zones around/at the controller
-reset the controller several times (Rachio Gen2)

Any help would be appreciated.

Vince

Starting Member

Thursday, August 18th 2016, 1:01am

Zone 1 won't turn off

Additionally i did test my water pressure and it is falls within tolerance.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, August 18th 2016, 7:40am

If a valve will not close there are only a few reasons for it:
  • The valve is open manually, either through the solenoid or the bleed
  • The valve is open electrically through the solenoid
  • The valve is defective(solenoid, diaphragm or body)
  • The valve is installed improperly or assembled improperly
  • There is something lodged in the valve which is preventing it from closing

If you keep replacing a valve and keep having problems either you are doing something wrong or you are buying crummy valves

Pig

Monday, August 22nd 2016, 7:56pm

Fixed it!!!

I fixed it! Going by what SunCoLawns said, I decided to take apart the valve I replaced. Sure enough, the white plastic ring was installed backwards which ended up puncturing the diaphragm. Installed a new diaphragm (correctly this time) and now it works like a champ, and turns off like its supposed to.

Many thanks for the advice and information. Now maybe I can get my lawn green again and my neighbors can quit calling the HOA.

Rate this thread