You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 10th 2016, 2:28pm

Should sediment filter be up or down stream of reducing 1-1/2 to 1 inch pipes

am installing a new pump with 1-1/2 supply outlet to sprinklers. This must connect to a pre-installed 1" supply to sprinklers. The system uses water from a lake and needs filtration. The inlet and exit of the filter is 1-1/2 inches. My question is: Should I do the 1-1/2" to 1" reduction before, at or after the sediment filter.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "richdean2003" (Aug 10th 2016, 2:47pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 10th 2016, 3:29pm

was there no filter in place already? - the larger size of filter will have a lower pressure loss

Thursday, August 11th 2016, 2:06pm

The original set up had a 1-1/4 in pump outlet and the filter that was in place went down to 1 in before the filter. I thought it would be better to keep 1-1/2 on my design until after the filter to help decrease losses as you mentioned; however, I was concerned that I may be creating a choke point if I did not have enough pipe length after the filter to make certain I have good laminar flow before the 1-1/2 to 1 reduction bushing.

Rate this thread