You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, August 10th 2016, 10:17am

Water shooting into the sky

I need some expert input...I was recently testing my system, just bought the home, and when I got to station 6, I discovered a geyser. Now this isn't from a missing head, but from an inline uncapped "something" at ground level behind the head, my question is what is it, why is it there and can I just cap it off? I have never seen a sprinkler head with an appendage like this. There is obviously something missing, but what? I cannot find any threads I can add a cap too. Thank you!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 10th 2016, 7:36pm

Maybe post a photo. Any guesses I could contribute don't involve geysers.

mrfixit

Thursday, August 11th 2016, 3:44am

It sounds like a broke off riser. Maybe it's supposed to spray shrubs behind the sprinkler?
Sometimes there are sprinklers side by side.
Stick something in the hole to keep dirt out and dig it up. A wooden ring mandrel is the perfect tool for that.
Yep we could use a pic. www.tinypic.com Cut n paste the forum code here.

Thursday, August 11th 2016, 3:07pm

Thanks for the replies. I was able to spend a little more time checking this thing out last evening. I bought a pvc threaded cap from Home Depot and was able to get it screwed into the opening, hit the manual start button and bingo, cap stayed, rotor head popped up and the yard got watered. Also, I had a bad head along the sidewalk out front, a 4", pop up which I had. The bad one was killing that whole zone to where little water flowed to the other heads. After replacing that one head, the whole zone is working great now. Now if I can figure out why zone 9 doesn't function at all. Going to do some voltage and resistance testing, zone 9 is wired, but totally inop. I think it is the entire one on the east side of my driveway, which would make sense, the other 8 zones cover the rest of the yard. Thanks again!