You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 5th 2016, 9:26am

BluLock to 3/4 inlet heads question

Good morning everyone.

I am looking to install a lawn irrigation system to cover about 1 acre worth of mostly level lawn. I am on a well and have measured 40 psi and 8 gpm with a bib mounted meter. My supply line is 3/4 inch but the measurements were taken from a bib that's on a 1/2 line - so I imagine I could get more gpm than 8 but I am designing around 8 gpm to be safe - so 4 heads per zone; 12 zones; around 42 heads. Heads would be Hunter I20's. I'm estimating a 20 foot spray radius coming off the I20's in my design.

Although I can cut and sweat pipes, I am going to hire a plumber to cut into my 3/4 supply line, mount a back flow preventer and step up the "out to sprinker" supply line to 1 inch.

I am totally unsure about manifolds and valves but figure I will go with a pre-made manifold with Hunter valves. I'd like to purchase everything from Sprinkler Warehouse.

For ease of install, I'd like to use BluLock pipe but I am confused about piping size/design from the manifolds to the heads. I would imagine that I'd run 1 inch BluLock pipe to each head and then step down to 3/4 inch with a field-built Blu Lock riser. I'll be using a trencher. Can I have my heads "on-top" of the 1 inch supply line with this type of riser? I figure I will trench about 12 inches to accommodate the 7 inch Hunter bodies. The last picture probably describes it better than my words could.

Curious to know if I'm heading down the right track...

Thanks!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "John_the_Bruce" (Aug 5th 2016, 9:33am)

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, August 5th 2016, 9:53am

from what it know (not a lot on blue line)
You can't use it on the mainline.
only laterals
Not sure how it is easier than hard piping, Licking, Sticking, and Going!
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Friday, August 5th 2016, 9:57am

I believe Blu Lock is good from the manifold outlets on out unless I've read it wrong.

I would do schedule 80 from side of the house to manifold inlets and BluLock from manifolds out to heads.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, August 5th 2016, 10:01am

once you get the mainline in, you will be good enough at the process to get in schedule 40 or Class lateral lines in PVC.

Keep in mind Schedule 80 is not easy to work with, but Schedule 40 and class are much easier.

I think you read it right.

I am suggesting that you should hard pipe it.

I simply don't see the benefit in Blue line.

You will already have the pvc cutter, Glue, Primer, from the mainline.

Use Slip fittings when you can, and it is very easy to work with.

Thanks
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Friday, August 5th 2016, 12:16pm

I'm pretty set on using tubing of some sort instead of pipe.

I'm curious if anyone who has used Blu-Lock can tell me if my head design, with those fittings, is workable and of the rough design loos feasible...

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Friday, August 5th 2016, 4:19pm

I don't think that would be the best way to do risers. It seems like it would be a lot of work if you ever needed to adjust the height of the head.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 6th 2016, 9:24am

If you are set on using tubing, then just go with the same black polyethylene with insert fittings and clamps that has been working reliably for decades. Set heads on swing joints made with marlex elbows.

Rate this thread