You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jerryo

Starting Member

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 1:55am

Rainbird Pressure Regulator problem!

I found out the hard way, all pressure regulators are not the same. I installed four Rainbird PSI-M30X-075 3/4 inch Inline Pressure Regulators immediately after the Y filter according to normal practices. The output of the pressure regulators was negligible and definitely insufficient for a 30 psi pressure regulator output. The problem is, as Rainbird Tech Support confirmed, this type of regulator will only work when installed prior to the Y filter. Sprinkler Warehouse agreed to accept their return and I purchased Hendrickson PR5830-1, 3/4 inch Extra Duty Low-Medium Flow 30 psi Regulators that function just fine AFTER the Y inline filter. No warning or installation instructions stated that this problem might exist, so I post this as "new information" to any that would believe that this Rainbird product is superior, as I did. The Hendrickson PR is $3.34 less when purchased through Sprinkler Warehouse.

Reply to mrfixit:
I'm not buying it. Before or after the Y filter it should be the same flow as long as the filter's clean.

Maybe you installed them backwards.

Maybe the Y filter you used has a built in pressure reducer already so you installed two reducers by accident.

This is a new installation and the Wye filter does not have a pressure reducer of it's own. Yes, I did think I may have installed something incorrectly, so I removed the assembly from the sprinkler valve and verified the problem by attaching filter and PR to a garden hose. The result, very low water flow with PR after the filter verses substantial flow when PR was installed before the filter. Check it for yourself. The replacement PR works just fine. This really had me stumped which is why I contacted Rainbird.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jerryo" (Jul 25th 2016, 2:35am)

mrfixit

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 5:49am

I'm not buying it. Before or after the Y filter it should be the same flow as long as the filter's clean.
Maybe you installed them backwards.
Maybe the Y filter you used has a built in pressure reducer already so you installed two reducers by accident.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 8:57am

If you buy a combination filter/regulator you have no worries. :thumbup: