You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bob M

Saturday, July 23rd 2016, 6:21pm

Only one zone works

Hello,
I posted some of this several weeks ago but now I have more info. With the all the zones on the controller set to off I get a light stream or water out of zone 1. The only way to stop the water is to shut off the water supply. If I turn zone 1 on then I get the full stream of water. When I turn off zone 1 and turn on any other zone I do not get water out of the other zones but I do still get a light stream from zone 1. I swapped the solenoids on zone 1 and 5 and then zone 5 does exactly what zone 1 was doing (I did not swap the wires). I also took apart the valve on zone 1 and 6 and cleaned them. They look ok.
Any ideas what the problem might be?
also, my zone 3 solenoid is warm when I touch it. None of the others are. Is the # 3 solenoid going bad?
thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2016, 9:43pm

repair the sticking-open valve, then worry about the rest

Bob M

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 6:06am

how can I tell if its sticking open? it seem like there are no moving parts except the plunger in the solenoid. is that right? and once I swapped the solenoids on valve 1 and 5 and 5 did the exact same thing wouldn't that shows the problem was not the valve or solenoid unless they were both bad? I also swapped the guts of the valve between zone 1 and 5.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 8:58am

what are the make and model of the valves?

Bob M

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 8:45pm

The valves are Irritrol 2400T

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 24th 2016, 9:21pm

You should buy at least one new 2400T valve, just so you can take it apart and see what's what. It will help you understand what you're looking at out in the field.

Bob M

Monday, July 25th 2016, 5:36am

but that doesn't solve my problem.

mrfixit

Monday, July 25th 2016, 6:08am

If you disconnect the wire from the valve does the leak stop?

Which controller do you have?

You said you didn't swap the wires when you swapped solenoids. Does that mean that you left zone 1 wires hooked up when you swapped solenoids? Or did you disconnect the wires?

Zone 3 shouldn't be warm unless the controllers sending a signal to that valve. That's why I'm asking which controller do you have.

Bob M

Monday, July 25th 2016, 6:35am

The controller is a Richdel 446PR
I have not disconnected the wire. The previous owner has all the wires in once big ball of electrical tape.
I didn't swap the solenoid wire. Maybe that was the wrong way of saying it. I just took the solenoids of valve 1 and 5 and swapped them and left the wire alone. so that would turn zone 1 into 5 and 5 into 1, correct. So # 5 acted just like 1 did.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 25th 2016, 9:29am

but that doesn't solve my problem.
You are incorrect.

If you owned a spare valve, you would have a spare solenoid to work with. And a spare diaphragm assembly.

What we are reading from your posts is that you do not quite comprehend what you are looking at, in terms of valve operations. That's okay, it's not your job. Just swap good parts for bad. It happens that the 2400 valves are reliable performers, and worth the effort to understand and maintain.