You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

redsman

Saturday, July 16th 2016, 8:20am

Valve problem?

I have a 4 zone Hunter system. Three zones are fine, but one is getting water out of the heads, but the heads go up and down erratically throughout the run time. Replaced the valve selenoid but still does it. Valve problem or something else?

mrfixit

Saturday, July 16th 2016, 3:27pm

It could be the controller. Try moving the wire to a zone you know is working.

If it still happens then maybe there's a loose wire somewhere. Maybe the wire's loose at the controller.

redsman

Saturday, July 16th 2016, 6:22pm

Thanks for the reply mrfixit...swapped the wires at the controller and it still did it. Remade my connections in the valve box,replaced the diaphragm on that zone and replaced all the sprinkler heads. Still no luck. Out of things to do :wacko:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "redsman" (Jul 16th 2016, 6:36pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, July 17th 2016, 2:19am

It could be the solenoid.

Is the valve right next to another valve where you can swap solenoids? Including the wiring. See if the problem switches to the other valve.
Just unscrew the solenoid and move it. You can leave the wires hooked up.

redsman

Sunday, July 17th 2016, 6:16pm

Yes, all valves in the same box. Swapped solenoids around and still had the same issue on the one zone. All other zones working fine on any solenoid. I guess I'll try capping off a head or two and see if that works. The zone has six pop-up heads (non-rotor), but it has been working fine for the last six years. Problem just started. Thanks again for the help.

mrfixit

Monday, July 18th 2016, 4:15am

Is there a pump involved in this?

You might want to swap out the whole valve.

redsman

Tuesday, July 19th 2016, 4:14am

Yes there is a 2 hp sprinkler pump on a well. Zone 1 is the problem zone and has 6 pop up (non-rotor) heads. The other 3 zones have 4 rotor heads on each zone and are working fine. Pump is smooth and quiet on those 3 zones and heads are throwing 25-30 feet of water. When pump runs on the problem zone it sounds as if the pump is cavitating or not getting enough water and the heads move up and down erratically.

I did notice when I replaced the solenoid on the problem zone that the previous owner had cross threaded it, so am going to replace the valve tonight

redsman

Saturday, August 6th 2016, 3:50pm

Finally found the problem! Tree roots had pinched a piece of funny pipe together, restricting the flow to about half. Cleaned it up and zone works great!! Hope this helps somebody with the same issue

Rate this thread