You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.




Sunday, July 3rd 2016, 10:46am

Replacing 3/4" rotors with 1/2" pop-ups?

Newb question. . .

I have two Hunter PGP rotors in a small area of my yard that was recently re-purposed with my wife's raised vegetable beds. I want to replace these hard-hitting rotors with something taller and more gentle. I have a few leftover Rain Bird 1800 pop-up heads from an old house, but they have 1/2" inlets and the rotors are obviously 3/4".

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks in advance.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,288

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, July 3rd 2016, 1:23pm

Swing pipe and swing elbows (male thread x barb) will transition you from one to the other - completing the picture might require a female x female coupling to replace the PGP you remove



Posts: 2,311

Location: USA


Monday, July 4th 2016, 5:28am

I recently replaced about a dozen PGP's with 4" Rainbird 1800's. I used 3/4" x 1/2" riser extensions. 1 or 2 on each head. When I needed 2 I used 3/4 x 3/4 for the first extension and 3/4 x 1/2 on the second. Was a quick and easy job. I just unscrewed the PGP and stuck the 1800 in the hole then pulled the sod in around the head. No digging needed.

But you said you wanted something taller? Are you talking 1806's? You could use swing joints like Boots suggested. They make a 3/4 x 1/2.

Rate this thread