You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 15th 2016, 2:02pm

Irritrol Junior Max Will Not Work

Friends, I am a homeowner with an Irritrol - 4 Event Sprinkler, Junior Max Controller.
It will turn on for a half a second then turn itself back off, I can hear the sound in the pipes in the house. I try this in Manual Mode too with the same result. The folks on the phone at Irritrol said to check the voltage coming from the plug-in Transformer. So I bought an analog mulitmeter and it looks like 24 volts. All four events work when I twist the underground solenoid manually. But I don't see a Master valve anywhere underground next to the four valves. There is some contraption on the pipes next to the house, what's that? I changed some solenoids last summer, that worked for a while, but it isn't working at all now unless I twist the solenoid manually.
The folks at Irritrol want to give me the name and number of somebody who can replace the controller.
Is there a master valve to check somewhere?
Can I replace the Junior Max Controller?
Irritrol says the life span of a Controller is 5-7 years. This sounds like a racket to me. Can I install a longer lasting Controller? What brand name?
It is almost 95 degrees here near Kansas City on June 15 and it is only 2:00 P.M. Alligators are eating children in Orlando, a Crazy Islamist just killed 49 people in Orlando, our country is 19 Trillion in debt, Hillary and Trump are arguing and it would be nice to get my sprinkler fixed. Thank you!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 15th 2016, 4:31pm

Do you know for a fact that none of the valve solenoids are short-circuited? (confirm by resistance testing)

Thursday, June 16th 2016, 7:39pm

Wet_Boots, I am no electrician but I will figure out how to resistance test all the solenoids. Do I test each one while it is still on the valve? Or do I take it off before testing? Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 16th 2016, 8:32pm

You should be able to leave all components and wires in place for resistance testing of the zones at the controller.

Controller off - no watering - one ohmmeter lead on the zone terminal, the other lead on the common wire, and read the resistance