You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

yotanut

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 15th 2016, 12:34pm

Help! Out of Ideas

We just purchased a new home last winter and want to use our Rain Bird system that was installed. The previous owners told us it didn't work so we tried and got all 5/6 zones working but are at a loss with one of the zones. It is the shortest run and has 3 Rain Bird 5000 heads within it. It doesn't have enough pressure to push the heads up and just trickles out of the tops. We have dug up the entire line (no leaks or clogs), cut into and fed the zone from another working one and cut in another pvc pipe all the way from the valve to the first sprinkler in the line and still cannot get them to work. Same result everytime. I have had a landscaping company out and they are at a loss. They have replaced the valve and the backflow valve and nothing has helped. He also tested the pressure at the side of the house (from hose spigot) and we have about 50 psi. We are on a well with no pressure tank. Our well provides about 40 gallons a minute.

Is there anything we are missing or something else we should try?

DIYguyintx

Unregistered

Saturday, July 2nd 2016, 1:11pm

Help....

I had a similar problem- station 1 quit working. I dug up the wires leading from the controller to the valves and presto, there was the problem! A few week back the pest control company put in sentricon spikes for termite control. To install them they use an auger to drill holes and had drilled one near the manifold and cut a wire!! Quick splice and I was back in business. I know it's a one in a million shot but worth checking.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 3rd 2016, 1:36pm

RE: Help! Out of Ideas

We just purchased a new home last winter and want to use our Rain Bird system that was installed. The previous owners told us it didn't work so we tried and got all 5/6 zones working but are at a loss with one of the zones. It is the shortest run and has 3 Rain Bird 5000 heads within it. It doesn't have enough pressure to push the heads up and just trickles out of the tops. We have dug up the entire line (no leaks or clogs), cut into and fed the zone from another working one and cut in another pvc pipe all the way from the valve to the first sprinkler in the line and still cannot get them to work. Same result everytime. I have had a landscaping company out and they are at a loss. They have replaced the valve and the backflow valve and nothing has helped. He also tested the pressure at the side of the house (from hose spigot) and we have about 50 psi. We are on a well with no pressure tank. Our well provides about 40 gallons a minute.

Is there anything we are missing or something else we should try?
It might be possible that you have more than one valve being activated when you run the problem zone from the controller, and that the 'phantom' valve is at an unknown location, and it would be feeding a broken line that effectively kills the system pressure.

One simple diagnostic would be to cap off the two furthest heads on this problem zone, and try it with just one head. If you can do this and report back, that might lead to a solution.