You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bassadict69

Tuesday, June 14th 2016, 7:08am

Differences in design between Rainbird & Orbit

I am in the process of drawing up a DYI irrigation for my backyard and have used both Orbit and Rainbirds design services and they are showing major differences. Rainbird uses quite a few more heads than Orbit. For instance, across the widest part of the yard which is about 110 ft, Rainbird uses 5 heads while Orbit uses only 4.

I was hoping both designs would be fairly close but now, not sure what to do!

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2016, 5:19pm

I don't know about the design services, but RainBird is a much higher quality product. Four 3/4" rotors seems sufficient for 110' but if your rows are closer together RB may be going for more even spacing.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 15th 2016, 2:33am

I highly doubt 4 sprinklers will cover 110 feet across. Can you post a picture of the design?

Sprinklers are supposed to have head to head coverage. That means the rotors would have to spray 110 feet.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 15th 2016, 8:44am

I think he might mean 4 or 5 heads arranged in a straight line are spanning a 110 foot distance. In terms of head-to-head coverage, Orbit is expecting a 37-foot radius spray as a minimum, and Rainbird is figuring on a 28-foot minimum.

bassadict69

Thursday, June 16th 2016, 7:44pm

I think he might mean 4 or 5 heads arranged in a straight line are spanning a 110 foot distance. In terms of head-to-head coverage, Orbit is expecting a 37-foot radius spray as a minimum, and Rainbird is figuring on a 28-foot minimum.

Correct! I redrew and resubmitted to Rainbird the exact drawing I gave to Orbit since my Rainbird was done a couple years ago and there were some differences after I took a closer look. I will post them in the next couple of days once I get some off time to figure out how to do so!

bassadict69

Friday, June 17th 2016, 4:23pm

I am still waiting on the new Rainbird design, but here is the first they did...I will post the other when I get it. Also, does anyone know how I can post the Orbit design? It is all online and will not save to my computer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 18th 2016, 7:53am

The top row of your keyboard has a Print Screen key, which will take a snapshot of your monitor image, which you then take to your photo editing software. If that presents a roadblock to you, search for Irfanview, a free image-editing program for Windows computers, for which you can find many tutorial pages on its use.

bassadict69

Saturday, June 18th 2016, 9:25am

The top row of your keyboard has a Print Screen key, which will take a snapshot of your monitor image, which you then take to your photo editing software. If that presents a roadblock to you, search for Irfanview, a free image-editing program for Windows computers, for which you can find many tutorial pages on its use.

I have irfanview but am having trouble figuring out how to open a "new" one to paste the screenshot into...let me do some digging!

bassadict69

Saturday, June 18th 2016, 9:48am

On the previous post of the Rainbird design, 1 large square = 5 ft...on the Orbit, one square is 10ft.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 18th 2016, 3:45pm

Ahhh, now we get a piece of information we were missing. Pumping lake water. That means lower pressure at the heads. Unless you are using Maxipaw impact heads, the Orbit plan will not get you head-to-head coverage. That doesn't mean you can't get decent coverage, but you have to allow for heads that won't be spraying as far as 37-foot radius.

Rate this thread