You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

FairAcres

Starting Member

Friday, June 10th 2016, 1:50pm

Battery Operated Timer & Controller Design

Hello All - Brand new to this forum. I am seeking advice into designing an irrigation system in Upstate NY. I have no power at this location. I am currently plowing up 80'x4' furrows to be enclosed in a 100'x100' fenced in section to keep out deer and other animals. A row of blueberry bushes, a row of strawberries, 2 rows of pumpkins, squash, zucchini, then 2 rows of beans, tomatoes, cucs, etc.. and then finally, several fruit trees (various apple, cherry, peach, plum). I will run a battery powered electric fence about 2' outside of the 6' deer fence.
I have two 320 Watt solar panels available, and I'm considering running a 12V deep cycle marine battery bank with a charge controller between the panels and batteries. I will energize the battery operated electric fence controller with the batteries.
I have an underground spring that holds approximately 50 gallons of water that I would like to tap for my irrigation needs. I'll probably incorporate a shed into this design that can house a 300 gallon water storage tank. I will use a 12V Shurflo pump on a 12V timer to pump water from the spring into the storage tank 2x a day for ample irrigation storage.
First question- I see several 12V timers online ranging from $10-$85. Can anyone recommend a particular timer based upon their experiences?
Second question- I'd like to use a 12V irrigation control timer to avoid using an inverter to supply 120V to this irrigation timer. Can anyone recommend a control timer for 6 zones? I can run 3/4" pipe to each of the furrows to be operated as independent zones. So I could probably use recommendations on the control valves as well?

If anyone has any other comments or suggestions regarding my design and/or layout, I'd love to hear them! Thank you

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 11th 2016, 6:06am

Whatever 12 volt controllers you are looking at in the price range you mentioned are not going to be 'pro' material, compared to products like these, so no recommendations along your lines. What might be of use to you, is the fact that, at lower supply pressures, say 60 psi and down , you can activate a common 24 VAC valve solenoid on 12 VDC

As for design, you can skip the furrows and use drip irrigation, and maybe run the whole shebang on one zone.

Rate this thread