You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Johnny P

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 8th 2016, 12:07pm

Getting Mainline into Backyard

Hello all!

I am going to install a sprinkler system into my yard and will tie into the mainline before it enters the house. No problem there. The issue is running a line to the backyard. I have about 20 ft of cement on both sides of the house that I don't want to demo to get my system back there. I live in Utah and always hear that I need the pipes 18" underground for frost. I don't see anyway of getting the pipes back there unless I run a pipe on the cement following the fence line or something (above ground).

Any ideas other than the fence line?

I appreciate all comments, thanks

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 8th 2016, 10:48pm

It's a gamble but I water jetted under a guys patio 22 feet one time. Saved him hundreds of dollars. We have clay soil here. Took me about an hour of jetting.
It wasn't 18 inches deep though. That sounds like a major pain.
If you don't have a lot of big rocks in your soil. It might be possible.
If you use a 3 or 4 foot galvanized nipple at the very start of you jet it will keep a straight like. Straight enough to hit a bullseye.

They have special machines that would run a pipe through there I think.

I don't live where it freezes so I'll let someone else answer the above ground question.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 9th 2016, 6:15am

the depth doesn't really matter, because in freezing climates it is necessary to blow air through the outdoor sprinkler plumbing to clear the water out of it so damage can't occur during winter

Johnny P

Unregistered

Thursday, June 9th 2016, 3:16pm

Instead of blowing it out, can I get away with the self draining valves?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 10th 2016, 8:18am

Buy or rent a compressor. Don't cheap out on this.

Rate this thread