You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Npiv

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 9:55pm

Rain sensor installation on Richdel 512 pr

Hello,

I just bought a Hunter wireless rain clik sensor for my sprinkler system. My box is a Richdel 512 pr and I am confused on how to wire the rain sensor. The directions it comes with doesn't explain it to well. There are 5 wires that come out of the receiver. They are 2 yellow wires that say 24 VAC. Also there is a blue, white, and orange wire. The problem is that my controller doesn't have rain sensor ports and it doesn't have anything labeled AC. I don't know if this system is a open or closed system as well. The only thing my controller has on it is the valve connections, one pump connection, and three common connections. That is it. Can someone please help me with this and tell me how to wire this thing??!!

Thanks!!

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 12:45am

I would go with what it says on page 8

Did you say there are three seperate common wires? Just attach all three together with the blue. Or maybe convert the three wires into one common wire then attach to the blue. Whatever's easier. Then attach the white from the receiver to the common terminal. That's the only wire that should be hooked up to the common.

The AC will be the terminals where the transformer wires are hooked up.

Just ignore the orange wire.

You don't have a pump or anything do you? Nothing hooked up to the pump/mv terminal.

Npiv

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 6:24am

Yes there are three separate common connections. It looks like this http://www.normac1.com/pdf/manuals/irritrol/manual_richdel_lawngenie_500series.pdf?lbisphpreq=1

The problem is I don't know where to connect the AC wires to? If you could explain further, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[img]http://www.normac1.com/pdf/manuals/irritrol/manual_richdel_lawngenie_500series.pdf?lbisphpreq=1[/img]

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 6:36am

Since you don't have terminals for the incoming 24VAC from the supply transformer, you have to dig into the wiring behind the panel and work it out on your own. If you have a multimeter, you can determine with certainty which transformer output lead is the common, and which is the 'hot' lead

Npiv

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 6:52am

Ok but what do I do about the blue and white wires being that there are three common ports? And the orange wire I just leave alone?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 10:27am

doesn't matter if there are three common terminals - they did that for wiring convenience - electrically, they are identical

white to common terminal on controller - blue to common wire leading to valves, which you've removed from the controller

since the Hunter receiver doesn't care which AC wire is which, no multimeter needed to connect the yellows - orange does nothing, so tape over the end

Npiv

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 10:37am

Ok thank you. Do you have any idea where the ac wires would be for my controller behind the panel / what color wire or where they lead to. Also do I connect the two ac wires to the same wire on my controller once I find it?

Thank you

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 11:22am

There should only be two wires exiting the transformer to feed the controller, which will now be feeding the receiver. Bring back a photo if you're still confused.

Npiv

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 2:13pm

ok. This is what we are looking at and

So know after looking at my box, I think I am finally starting to understand you. So for the two ac wires coming out of the receiver of the sensor, I connect one yellow wire to one red and the other yellow wire to the other red wire?

But I am still confused on what I do with the blue, white, and orange wire.

Thank you so much...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 3:04pm

like mrfixit said, page eight

Rate this thread