You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bshanley

Tuesday, May 31st 2016, 8:03pm

Replacement Rotor Won't Screw On

My irrigation system is a patchwork of many different rotors of various ages, so I decided to replace them all with Rainbird 5000s. They have 3/4" connections. A golf course guy showed me how to loosen the old rotor and remove it without digging everything up. I followed that procedure on rotor #1 and it seemed to work. On rotor #2, I just can't get the replacement to seat and thread. There's even some wiggle room in the hole, as the old rotor was fatter. I've tried two, and I'm afraid I may be damaging the threads on the new ones, though it's hard to tell. Am I doing something wrong? All advice welcomed! Thanks.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 12:58am

Some rotors are tapered at the bottom. Some are flat. If you try to screw a flat bottomed rotor into a hole where there was a pointy ended rotor then the new rotor will just spin and not catch. You'll have to dig it all the way up.

bshanley

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 3:14am

Thanks for the reply, mrfixit. Both rotors are flatbottomed, and look the same to me, the Rainbird is just a little thinner. The older is "K' brand.

mrfixit

Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 4:46am

It's time to dig one up and see why it wont screw on.

Are the nipples galvanized steel?

Maybe some dirt fell into the hole.

I replace heads the way you're doing it when I can. It's way easier. On occasion I'll have a problem such as yours when There are marlex ells down in there. Or a swing joint. Dig one up and see.

Rate this thread