You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 27th 2016, 2:10pm

No One Can Solve This Problem

I need help. Please see the video in the link below. Here is the short story...

1. This has been a problem for 3 years.
2. I have hired 2 professionals to my inspect and repair, both tried and failed.
3. The system has 3 zones, #1 and #2 water the lawn. Zone #2 is the biggest problem.
4. When the system is opened manually the zones function much better than if opened by the controller.
5. The valves, sprinkler heads & bodies, and controller have been replaced over the last 6 months.
PROBLEM STILL EXISTS!

There is a long version to this story but I will spare you all the details for now.
Any advice, recommendations, and/or suggestions are all welcomed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t26tw8rmqti3af2/Comp%202.mp4?dl=0

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 27th 2016, 2:21pm)

mrfixit

Friday, May 27th 2016, 2:27pm

The soil looks very sandy. The one head you pulled up on took some effort. The heads shouldn't be so low in the ground so get sand in the seals like that. What model sprinklers are those?

Something's fishy when you open that second valve. It sounds like it's full of air. Try adjusting the flow control to see if you can get the valve to stop making that noise.

If I were to come over there I'd take the valves apart and look at the diaphragms. I know you said their new but I'm still looking. I'd probably put a new diaphragm in that middle valve.

I'd suggest replacing all the heads with Rainbird 1800 series or Hunter Pro sprays and I'd suggest keeping the soil away from the seals. Raise them up a bit or dig out around them. Maybe both. Get at least 4" pop ups.

Is there debris inside the sprinklers keeping them from popping up? Maybe it needs a good flushing as well.

Are you on city water?

The guys who helped you aren't pros. They're pretenders.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 27th 2016, 2:34pm

Echo mrfixit - the very first thing a real pro would do when encountering the operation seen in the video would be to check the valve diaphragms, and to have their replacements on hand.

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 1:10am

Thanks for the reply, MrFix and WetBoots. I am going to attempt to answer your questions.

The sprinkler heads are all Toro brand. Some are 8-10' (blue tops) and the others are 12-15' (brown). It's funny you mention replacing those because I am actually in the process of replacing all with Hunter Pro 4". While doing this I gave the system a good flush. I completed zone #2 today but am still experiencing the same problem. I have an extra valve still in the box on hand and I will use it's diaphragm to replace the one in zone #2. I am on city water.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have all the new Hunter's installed and the diaphragm replaced. I will shoot an updated video and post it to this thread in the next 48hrs. Is there anything specific you'd like to see in the new video?

Thank you both for your help. I really do appreciate you taking time out of your lives to help a stranger.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 2:06am

I was wondering if the sprinklers ever worked correctly or was this a new install 3 years ago and they've never worked?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 12:38pm

I would also suggest getting rid of any VAN or Viable arc nozzles and going with straight 8Q,8H,8F etc, etc, 10Q,10H. 10F

The VAN Nozzles usually use more GPM than the standard nozzles.

There are exceptions, but keep it very simple until you get your flow worked out.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Rate this thread