You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

LarryH530

Starting Member

Thursday, May 26th 2016, 3:09pm

Solenoid works, valve works manually, but solenoid won't stay activated

I've got an Irritrol Jr. Max 4 timer and connected to it is just one Lawn-Genie valve. When the timer energizes the solenoid I hear a click and water starts to flow, but after about 1 or 2 seconds there is another click and the valve closes. The valve works fine if I turn it on manually by either opening the bleeder valve or slightly unscrewing the solenoid. I took the solenoid off the valve and energized it and the plunger pops up and then down. It seems like the timer opens the valve and then doesn't keep it open. Any advice or further tests to run?

mrfixit

Friday, May 27th 2016, 12:03am

If you hear it clicking on and off that means the power is coming on and off. Could be a loose wire, could be the controller, could be the solenoid but I doubt that's it unless the wire is breaking off from the solenoid or cut.

The timer you mentioned is a cheapo. You could take off the solenoid off of the valve and touch the wires directly to the controller and see if it clicks on and off. No clicking on and off then it's not the controller. Just make sure the solenoid's good. Maybe touch it to the transformers wires and see if it's working.

Rate this thread