You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kanderna

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 18th 2016, 4:39pm

Help with layout options

Hi all,

Hoping there are some options here. One thing we worked into our offer on a new home was an irrigation system. Our builder, knowing we will expand upon our backyard patio one day is asking for our definitive plans (that could be years in the future) so he knows where to place the sprinkler heads so we don't have to move them. He said they would typically be placed next to the patio and aimed outward. I totally get that, but he's claiming there is no way to place them away from the patio and still get coverage in that area. Can that be correct? I have to believe the installers have come up with some pretty creative solutions to issues like this. Any help would be appreciated.

kanderna

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 18th 2016, 4:40pm

Inserting the photo didn't work. Here's a photo of the area. I have other angles if helpful.

https://goo.gl/photos/hsRPMJapUxgtZaam9

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 18th 2016, 10:05pm

I think you may have made a mistake using the builder to do the sprinkler system. In my opinion the builders charge retail to the home owner, and pay the irrigation contractors below market value for the sprinklers. I have heard that some builders have not gone up on their prices for irrigation systems in 20 years. Most landscape companies only give away the irrigation to builders to get the landscape job where they can make it up.

The other reason I think its a mistake to have the builder install it is that you normally get a 2 or 3 year warranty with an irrigation contractor and can have a lasting relationship with the installation company. When you work with your builder, the builders entire goal is to get you out of warranty in one year. Remember, he has the relationship with the Sub Contractors, you don't.

To your question, sprinkler guys do want to be on the perimeter, and not throw water towards the house in the back yard. If you are not sure about the back yard lay out, do a general lay out and expect to change it later. Or, hold off on the back.

I am sure there are great builders out there, but they are builders. They are just marking it up, and paying well below market value. Builder work is generally not as good in the sprinkler world as if you would get it done your self after closing.

If you are going to pay retail, you might as well get all the bells.

It is common to cut corners where they can by not getting backflow assemblies tested, not installing rain sensors. Of course where permits are required this kind of cutting corners is not allowed.

This is My Humble Opinion.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500