You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, May 12th 2016, 7:00am

Which is better Hunter or Toro ?

Hello everyone

I am new here and in need of some direction - received a few different quotes and down to the last 2 - one uses a mix of Hunter heads and Rainbirds; the other uses Toro everything. I have been searching for more recent reviews of the 2 products and can not find anything - all that I see is stuff from 9+ years ago. ?( ?( ?( ?( ?(

Thanks in Advance!

mrfixit

Thursday, May 12th 2016, 1:29pm

Without a doubt Hunter's a better product than Toro.

If I had to chose between Hunter pop ups and Rainbird pop ups I'd go with the Rainbird. Especially on 6" or higher.

Let me clarify that I'm talking about the Rainbird 1800 series only. The rest of their pop ups are crap.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 12th 2016, 4:07pm

Beg to differ with mrfixit. I've seen too many leaky Hunter rotors to say they are better than Toro's, and Toro's new Precision spray nozzle is probably the best on the market, though they make them to fit Hunter spray heads too. Sadly, Toro no longer makes the TMC 2-12 controller and I'm not completely sold on the Evolution. The Hunter Pro-C is a pretty good clock. For valves, I prefer the Toro EZ Flo, but the Hunter PGV is a pretty reliable valve.

mrfixit

Friday, May 13th 2016, 5:13am

Toro products are cheaply made in my opinion. The plastic of the 570 pop ups is a hard plastic that cracks. Toro tries to copy others. Look at their crap rotors. A cheap version of the Hunter PGP.
I believe the Rainbird precision type nozzles do a much better job of covering than Toro or Hunter. I've seen numerous Toro precision type nozzles just stop turning in a short amount of time.
I don't see leaky Hunter Pro Sprays.
I would never install a Toro Easy Flo. I'm not a jartop fan at all.
I also think the Toro TMZ controller is one of the most confusing controllers for home owners. I personally can't stand how the buttons operate. You have to visually verify the controller knows when you've clicked on a button. Half the time you'll hear it click and nothing happens.
Opinos vary. =)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2016, 10:43am

Nearly all plastic popup heads are made from ABS plastic, which, by its full name, works out to something like a blend of model airplane plastic and rubber. Toro used a brand name ABS called Cycolac, and could advertise their heads as being made from the exact same plastic that made football helmets.

Toro is kind of an also-ran in the residential market nowadays. They do better in golf course and athletic field markets. That doesn't mean that an all-Toro lawn sprinkler system can't be as good or better than the competition. (but that isn't going to happen unless the installer cherry-picks from their products and that will run into money)

mrfixit

Friday, May 13th 2016, 2:44pm

Nearly all plastic popup heads are made from ABS plastic, which, by its full name, works out to something like a blend of model airplane plastic and rubber. Toro used a brand name ABS called Cycolac, and could advertise their heads as being made from the exact same plastic that made football helmets.

So you're saying that the 570 is just as good as the Pro-Spray and the 1800 series?

The plastics are not the same. Rainbird is much softer plastic than Toro. You know it for a fact. Hunter's not the same either. Plus the material in the 570 is much thinner. The caps crack at a much higher rate. The threads break off as well.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2016, 3:50pm

They all use ABS for sprinkler heads, but there can be different blends of the three basic components in the ABS chosen for use, besides which, parts can always be made with thicker dimensions, such as the caps on Hunter I-20 heads, versus their PGP. ABS has good low-temperature properties, and it's an easy plastic to mold, in contrast to something like PVC, which can attack the metals of some molds. ABS is also cheaper than other suitable plastics choices.

There are two examples of alternate plastics choices in lawn sprinkler products. There is Acetal (one trade name is Delrin) that gets used for brand-name fittings for swing pipe. Since acetal is self-lubricating, those MPT x barb elbows thread easily into other plastics, a difference that will be very apparent if you try an off-brand elbow made of ABS in the same application. Another plastic choice is Polycarbonate (trade name Lexan) that one company used for the cover plate of one of their heads, and which is still used today for the top cover of a Wilkins 720 PVB.

The big knock against the Toro 570 popups for me is the wiper seal leaving the heads stuck in a popped-up position. They couldn't copy Rainbird's seal so long as it had patent protection, but that protection might have ended by now.

mrfixit

Saturday, May 14th 2016, 5:41am

Exacerbating

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 14th 2016, 6:09am

I could have mentioned the polypropylene used in early Nelson brand heads. :)

We aren't seeing Toro head failures from breakage, and we don't see them suffering damage during winterizing, which sometimes kills an off-brand popup spray like an Orbit. Of course freezing water will kill any sprinkler head.

Tuesday, May 17th 2016, 1:50pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE SOOOO MUCH for the information - so afraid to make a costly mistake and you all were a huge help to calm my nerves. Now if the rain does not stop in Maryland this year I won't have to worry about sprinkler heads - I will need to worry about building a boat! :D :D :D :D :D

Rate this thread