You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gkroeger

Wednesday, May 11th 2016, 9:21am

Identify zone problem

Hello, I am a new member to this forum an have recently purchase a home with a 16 year old sprinkler system. The system seems to work fine with the exception that one of the four zones comes on whenever the main supply valve is opened. It would seem like this valve is in a stuck open position however, if one of the other zones is on before the main valve is opened, that zone will come on and the faulty zone will not. As soon as the system closes the working zone, the faulty zone comes on even though the system shows it off. Also, I am unable to find the valve for this faulty zone. I have traced the 5 conductor cable from the control box to three of the valves located near the city water main, but cannot find the fourth (defective) valve.
It seems odd that all three of the working zone valves are in the same location but the defective one is not. Could there be some type of installation where this is normal? Also, I have tested the resistance with an ohm meter for all four zones and all four zones read 40 ohms; so, it appears that the valve is connected.
I have traced the cable with a wire detector and attempted to find the valve with a metal detector but still no luck finding the valve. Any suggestions (other than paying to have it located and repaired)?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 11th 2016, 11:19am

What manner of "wire detector" are you using? As for a metal detector, did you turn on one of the known-and-working valves and pass the detector over it to learn whether it gave you any kind of reading?

gkroeger

Wednesday, May 11th 2016, 12:20pm

Thanks for the response. I am using NOYAFA NF-816 Underground Cable Wire Locator. Yes, I did run the metal detector over the known valves and obtained a reading. I followed the path of the cable with the metal detector and received several readings, however, the only thing I found was some wire staples that had been used to fasten a plastic sheet to the ground to stop weed growth. I also covered most of the area around the existing valves looking for the lost valve. I find that I am getting lots of hits but finding scrap metal and no valves. Tried adjusting the sensitivity on the detector but find it difficult to control scrap metal hits.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 11th 2016, 8:02pm

Unless you rent a real cable locator, you are in scrap metal city. What you have is closer to a 'toner' that gets used to track indoor wiring.

If the valves were not energized when you ran the metal detector over them, then try it again.

mrfixit

Thursday, May 12th 2016, 4:43am

If you had a good wire locator, once you're over the solenoid you'll know it. It's gets much louder.

You could try something like this. Chatter

gkroeger

Thursday, May 12th 2016, 6:58pm

Unless you rent a real cable locator, you are in scrap metal city. What you have is closer to a 'toner' that gets used to track indoor wiring.

If the valves were not energized when you ran the metal detector over them, then try it again.
Yeah, I did get a lot of false hits but did finally find the lost valve. For some reason the installer dropped the cable off in a valve box along the driveway than spliced the wires for the remaining three zones to a new cable under the driveway to the location of the water main and other three zone valves. This required the installer to run a pvc feeder line under the drive to the location of the lost valve. Replaced the valve bonnet and all is well. Thanks for the help....

Rate this thread