You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mtmtntop

Unregistered

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 4:22pm

toro greenkeeper 212 no power to valves

everything worked fine when i shut it down last year. upon startup, the sprinklers in the closest zones are all running, in several different zones. even if i have the controller at off, the sprinklers continue to run. i have to shut off the water to stop the sprinklers. i checked for power in the controller box and have it at the terminal strip. the transformer feels warm, the fuse is good. is there a way to check if the transformer is good? thank you

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 12th 2016, 4:22pm

Do the valves shut when you unplug it? If not, it's a valve issue. One issue with the 212 is, after a power surge or lightning strike one or more zones may run continuously. Sometimes this can be rectified by replacing the module for that zone, sometimes not.

mtmtntop

Monday, May 16th 2016, 7:12pm

i threw the breaker to the unit because it was hard wired, and disconnected the battery. when i turn on the water, all the zones near the house are running. 1 more piece of information has come up. my neighbor has the exact same problem. i am not sure of his brand controller. so next question, is it toast or can i replace a part? thanks for the help

mtmtntop

Monday, May 16th 2016, 7:46pm

or would i just be better off replacing the controller? I have 10 zones. at least 4 are open when i turn the water on now.when you said to maybe replace the module, is this the unit inside the controller or isthe module attached to the valve? i am trying to figure out if i have to replace valve parts or controller parts. thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 16th 2016, 8:27pm

If zones are running when the controller has no power, the problem is not the controller, it's the valves.

mtmtntop

Monday, May 16th 2016, 8:44pm

got it. thanks. i'll update when i get it working

mtmtntop

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 5:08pm

replaced solenoids, still have open valve

i replaced the solenoids on 3 valves which were the closest to the house and all in the same underground box. i still have one circuit that runs when the controller is turned off and the water is on. it makes no difference if i open and close the manual valve on that circuit. i am guessing that i need a whole new valve unit? what makes the valve units go out in the first place? could it be from a power surge? this system was hardwired, but i am thinking to put it to a plug going through a surge protector. thanks for the help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 7:09pm

stuck-open valve plus unplugged controller equals mechanical failure of the valve - diaphragm assembly is the top suspect - just replace the valve

mtmtntop

Sunday, June 5th 2016, 11:43am

changed diaphragms still stuck open

i changed out the diaphragms and still have 2 open zones. this is with controller off. its hard to believe that the valve bodies themselves are somehow broken and 2 of them in one season? do i really have to change out the valves themselves? i dont see any other parts that i can replace. i took out the rings that seat the diphragms and they are intact. thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 5th 2016, 1:21pm

change the entire valve when you aren't certain what to look for - some valve bodies can develop internal cracks - some fail because of sloppy installation (too much glue) - of course you checked to make sure there are no issues with the solenoids (yes, no?)

Rate this thread