You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 11:03am

Selecting a valve for a very low flow rate.

This is the lowest flow of any zone I've done. It is a 200 square foot patch of grass on a slope in very hard clay soil and I'm using sub surface drip line. Following Railbird's recommendations works out to 1.3 gallons per minute for the zone.

Do I really need a special low flow rate valve like the XACZ-075-PRF or can I use my usual ASVF 3/4 in valve? The ASVF specification sheet says it is rated to 0.2 GPM. In either case I'll use a regulator/filter downstream of the valve as the mainline supply pressure runs near 100 PSI.

I prefer to use identical valves throughout the system to make maintenance easier.

(I'm in California and the restrictions of water use are only going to get more and more severe in the years to come. So maybe XACZ valve needs to be my "normal" valve? Are they different?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 12:44pm

Since the "guaranteed at any flow" zone valves are big bucks, with special solenoids and internal parts, you try standard equipment first. Definitely throttle down the flow control, to improve valve closing reliability.

Rate this thread