You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cortneyjay

Unregistered

Thursday, May 5th 2016, 3:39pm

Need Help locating a 1.5" Convertor Valve (manual to automatic)

Hi, I'm looking for a 1.5" convertor valve (manual to automatic) for a sprinkler system. I can find 1" and 3/4", but 1.5" is giving me the run around! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

If you have any info, please email me at cortneyjay(at)gmail(dot)com

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 6th 2016, 7:37am

Insufficient information. Bring back a photo showing the brand name. Be prepared to spend hundreds of dollars for what you ask.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (May 6th 2016, 8:20am)

mrfixit

Friday, May 6th 2016, 10:29pm

I bought a couple 1 1/4 about three years ago. Both Ewing and Hydroscape could order it for me. I think I paid about 120 dollars each? The 1 1/2 will for sure cost more. Prices keep going up as well. Especially on brass.
If you buy one make sure they're new. The two they got for me were old stock and I had to rebuild them. I wasn't happy but it saved tons of work.

Here's a link https://www.ewingirrigation.com/800-1-1-…rior-adpt-champ

It says 522 dollars list price but that's probaby double the actual price.

I'd be interested in seeing a pic as well. Boots is right. If you're going to spend that kind of money you better know what you're getting. =)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 7th 2016, 7:42am

The reason the existing valve needs to be ID'd is that all brass angle valves do not have the same threads as a Champion brand valve, and Champion is about all that you can get automatic convertors for, nowadays. Given the high prices for these larger convertors, the thrifty thing to do is to try fitting a standard 1-1/2 inch valve into the plumbing.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 12:52am

How about rebuilding one?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 8:55am

A new diaphragm and seat disc might restart the life clock on that 800 series adapter. I would not spec one for outdoor use in freezing climates (worries about O-ring failures in the flow-control)

mrfixit

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 3:07pm

No doubt a rebuilt kit would get it working again. I do it all the time on 3/4 and 1 inch.
How about wrapping the treads on the stem with teflon tape in case the o-ring freezes. They never mentioned they live where it freezes.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 5:06pm

I think the Superior 800 market is so outside of freezing climates that O-ring damage from freezing water was never looked for by the mfr.

Of course, a photo of this particular valve install might show that it would be simpler and cheaper to just add a new valve on the outlet side.

Rate this thread