You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

newbie1

Thursday, May 5th 2016, 8:14am

New install - poor coverage

Hello,

Static pressure about 60PSI; water via city 1"; all irrigation pipes SCH 40 PVC 1"; 7 heads per zones; 2 zones. Rain Bird 5004s.

My first install - and having low coverage in 1 area, at highest peak. Most heads are 30' apart, but this section ended up 40'. I did not account for the land grade and placed my zone valves at the lowest point, coming from the highest, maybe 10' drop. Running, it drops from 60 to 25psi. I moved everything to 1.5gpm nozzles. Performance charts say 25psi on 1.5gpm = 33ft.

I'm considering moving the zone valve to the highest point and let the water run DOWN, instead of down and back up. Then I figured any pressure lost on the down and back up, would balance the difference when configured just from high to low grade with valve at the high end. I guess it would eliminate some pipe (friction) though (125'?). Another option would be to move 1 or 2 heads from the strong zone, to the weaker one.

Would moving the zone valve to the higher grade help much? Or, removing 1 or 2 heads better option?

Thanks for any input.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 5th 2016, 8:52am

Your best bet is to split the zones. If it doesn't work well with 1.5 gpm nozzles, you are painted into a corner. Run only two or three heads in a zone. The watering gets done just about as quickly, since you use larger nozzles, and the coverage and reliability also improve.

newbie1

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 6:58am

Wet_Boots: Just wanted to say thank you. I didn't think of it before, and your suggestion was perfect. This is exactly what I did and it is working great!

Thank you.

Rate this thread