You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Amopower

Wednesday, April 27th 2016, 12:31pm

air in line

Is there any good way to really know where the air is coming in from ? I splurged and got clear PVC pipe so i could see what's going on, and it is clear that air is entering....but have no idea how to narrow it down.
I took a video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8vz1OAJ8KY

Note: i am confident the air is not coming in from any visible piping, as this has already been replaced once by me as a way to narrow this down, and solvent welded.
The piping you see visible in the video then leads to the crawl space under the house, runs about 8', then a left turn for 5', and then it goes outside under the house, under a sidewalk, and about 10' to the well head. At that point I see a very rusty right angle ejector that converts those two pipes into one and goes down into the ground.

I would hate to call a company to redo the well line, only to find it was actually cracked pipe somewhere between the ejector and pump, and not down the well.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Amopower" (Apr 27th 2016, 2:39pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 28th 2016, 6:26am

You could blow air into the pump, and check to see if anything shows in the lines you can see (or hear)

Amopower

Thursday, April 28th 2016, 9:30am

OK, i suppose that the fitting right above the two pipes would be the one to open up and blow the air thru?
What i don't understand is that if there is a crack somewhere, then why aren't the pipes slowly filling up with air over time, while the resting water leaks out of the crack, as the pump is at rest for hours at a time.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 28th 2016, 11:39am

Suction leaks are curious things. The 'hole' may not show at rest, or even when you push in air, but will show when the pump operation creates negative pressure inside the pump and suction line.

Rate this thread