You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jhkatytx

Saturday, April 23rd 2016, 7:23pm

Backflow leaking at screen outlet

The sprinkler system I had on my previous home did not have this screened opening on the line. Actually there is one on both sides. This is the only one leaking. It is not pouring out a tremendous amount but just a spray. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?
Backflow need to be replaced?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 24th 2016, 7:51am

Those are automatic drain valves that have been placed in an attempt to avoid freeze damage. This application is far above their pay grade.

jhkatytx

Sunday, April 24th 2016, 10:37am

So sounds like I should remove it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 24th 2016, 2:34pm

I suspect your sprinkler system never gets winterized, and that these drain valves are an attempt to clear water from the above-ground plumbing. If that's the case, you need some way to stop water from freezing and breaking the plumbing. This is really a job for a thermostatic freeze protection device that will release a flow of water all by itself when the freeze approaches.

As for the leaking valve itself, and not looking at the application, a version designed to work 24/7 without leaking would be this

Rate this thread