You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tinkma

Friday, April 22nd 2016, 7:23pm

What is the correct water pump I should use?

I drove a 1.25" well point 37 feet into the ground. I have 12 feet of water. I am using a 1 horse power shallow well pump and am pulling up a trickle of water. Does any one have suggestions for another kind of pump that can lift more than 25ft?
Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 22nd 2016, 10:02pm

You need to spend some time "developing" the well. You already pumped some water out, but you need to reverse the flow and pump water into the point. Then pump water out. Then pump water in. Lather Rinse Repeat.

What you are doing is clearing the screen surface of the point, which will get clogged from all the soil pushing against the screen during installation..

What helps in this process is a screen filter in a clear housing, such as a Vu-Flow. All the while you are making progress with the developing, the pumping out will bring fine grit/sand to the surface, and a Vu-Flow in the outlet plumbing will trap it for you to see.

tinkma

Monday, April 25th 2016, 4:49pm

Thank you very much for your reply. I am working on flushing the pipe out like you mentioned. Do you think I may have driven down too far? People talk about not going lower than 25 feet. I went down 37' but have 12' of water. Could this be the reason I am only getting a trickle?

Thanks again

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2016, 7:33pm

25 feet is the maximum lift you can expect from a shallow-well pump, but that relates to water level and not to the depth of the well. If you have a water level in that point that is 25 feet below grade, you are not going to get much water, and that is even before the soil you're driving into is considered.

You are in the sort of territory where a larger-diameter well is needed. For a point, it would be a 2-inch point, because those allow the use of a deep-well convertible jet pump, with an inner-pipe ejector assembly.

tinkma

Tuesday, April 26th 2016, 4:34pm

At the maximum depth of 25 feet, would I get a trickle of water and the water pressure would get more powerful at 23', 22', 21' etc?

Rate this thread