You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, April 18th 2016, 8:28pm

Backflow preventer for inclined yard

My new house is built on an inclined lot with the rear of the backyard 10-12 ft higher than the valve box at the side of the house. The city requires a double check valve before the valve box. Will this be sufficient for backflow protection in the rear, or will something else be required in addition?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Johnstoirvin" (Apr 18th 2016, 9:21pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 19th 2016, 8:16am

....and may we inquire as to your location? It is not unknown for a local rule to be 'old knowledge' that runs counter to state laws, and you might as well have things completely sorted out ahead of time.

Thursday, April 21st 2016, 12:32pm

....and may we inquire as to your location? It is not unknown for a local rule to be 'old knowledge' that runs counter to state laws, and you might as well have things completely sorted out ahead of time.
Wet_Boots,

I'm in Redmond, central Oregon. The builder installed a double check
valve and the front lawn and the valve was city-inspected. The front
lawn is below the check and control valves. With the back yard so much
higher than the valves, I'm concerned the added pressure might adversely
affect the operation of the check. Yes or no? Another question is,
wouldn't manual drain valves at the control valves be better than
blowing the rear system out uphill? I think any water that remains after
blowout would run downhill and pool at the valves and freeze in winter.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 21st 2016, 1:12pm

Elevation won't affect the DCVA you have installed. As long as it receives regular testing by a certified pro, you will have the 'paper trail' of plumbing kept in good order.

Blowing out a system that runs uphill from the supply is no big issue. Add a drain(s) if you want them.

Rate this thread