You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

winterwolfes

Unregistered

Monday, April 18th 2016, 6:47pm

System just keeps starting and stopping and will not run

I have a 4 zone system. The system will turn on for about 15 seconds. Water just barely starts to come out but very low pressure and then it stops. About a minute later the system starts up again, after a few seconds water barely starts to come out and then it shuts off again right away. This cycle continues until I shut it off.

I replaced the controller this weekend but it did not help. My pump is on a relay and I've checked the voltage going in and out and it does not waiver. When the system comes on initially you hear the relay click. And the thing is, it never clicks again, the system just keeps cycling. So I thought maybe something was wrong with the pump. When I went back by the pump up can hear it start up and feel the ground humming around the top of the well. Then water starts to come up and seconds later the pump shuts off, and this just keeps repeating. So it seems the pump keeps starting but immediately stopping.

Any one have any good troubleshooting ideas? I've been trying to google this but all I can find are troubleshooting tips that involved water tanks which I don't have. This is strictly an irrigation well.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2016, 7:04pm

Your pump needs to be primed, and you need to check for leaks on the suction side of the pump.

winterwolfes

Unregistered

Monday, April 18th 2016, 7:18pm

Your pump needs to be primed, and you need to check for leaks on the suction side of the pump.
Thanks for responding. I should have mentioned that it is a submersible pump.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 19th 2016, 8:13am

You still need to rule out a well issue, because your description also fits a submersible in a well where the water level drops down to the pump. It might be that every zone valve is wide open when the pump starts up, and the water level in the well drops rapidly to pump level.

What you need to evaluate pump performance is a way to close off the system from the pump output line while letting the water flow from a side outlet where you can measure the flow and pressure.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Apr 19th 2016, 9:49am)

Rate this thread