You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

stumper49

Starting Member

Tuesday, April 12th 2016, 11:42pm

Leak or no leak?

I have 6 stations 3 in front and 3 in the back, all automatic valves set up on timer, the main water line is in back yard at fence line,I tied into the main line running to the house, 1'' schedule 40 to the first set of manifold stations with a tee continuing to the front yards other manifold station, the lines are 3/4 inch I have back flow prevention set up along with shut off valves at each manifold, my problem is the red dial on the main waterline that is metered continues to spin at a pretty fast pace, I checked for leaks before back filling trenches, there is no soft spots, mushy ground or obvious red flags, all stations run with great flow, if I shut off the 1st shut off valve and watch the red dial on meter it comes to a complete stop can;t even see it move, what is the problem? I can not for the life of me figure this out and could use some help/ feedback please !!!!

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 13th 2016, 4:52am

You obviously have water running somewhere if the dial is spinning.
That first valve you shut off, what exactly does it shut off? Just the outside water or does it also go into the house?
You said the main line is along the fence. Perhaps the water is going under the fence and into the neighbors yard.
I had a leak one time near the sidewalk that went under the cement for 70 feet and was coming out the neighbors driveway.
If there's a pool maybe the refill water's on.

Friday, April 15th 2016, 11:30am

Mysterious sprinkler leak

I agree with Mrfixit. The water is going somewhere. If is is flowing as fast as you say then it is usually visible unless your soil drains extremely fast. I was repairing a sprinkler system in Chatham NJ last year and had the same problem. What I found was that a drainage pipe was installed and the main line got broken and the water was flowing into the sewer system. There were no visible signs of a leak anywhere.

Rate this thread