You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vellis

Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 6:11pm

Help: 7 of 8 Zones have low pressure

Live in Texas. Trying to get system up and running after the winter.

Was able to get several zones (5 of 8) working after repairing damaged heads, etc. Came back out later that day, and now only 1 of my zones has very good pressure. I would say i am getting 20% pressure in 7 of 8 zones (no heads will pop up, just dribble).

Water is turned fully on at street. House water pressure is strong.

I turned on a low pressure zones solenoid manually, and still poor pressure.

backflow valve is in ground, right after main.
Pipe "T"s right after backflow.
I am assuming one leg of the T is bad and it feeds the bad zones, and the other is good and feeds the good zone.

Any suggestions on how to find the break?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "vellis" (Apr 6th 2016, 8:08pm)

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 11:10pm

If there was a break you'd see flooding. The dial on the meter would also be turning.
Is there a master valve? That could be the culprut.
Maybe there's a shut off valve that's not open all the way. Maybe turn on one of the zones you can see from the meter and turn it on and off to see if you can get full pressure.
Could be there's a pressure regulater gone bad creating low pressure in all the zones. Maybe the one zone that appears to be working doesn't need much water for it to function giving the appearance it's working correctly.

vellis

Thursday, April 7th 2016, 11:18am

Thanks Mr. Fixit.

I see no puddles, or excessively green grass. Dug a few holes and nothing.

The zone that appears working has only 4 heads with 2 popups, so you are probably right that it is under pressured as well.

I have City Supply valve (all the way open),
This Valve [url]http://s21.postimg.org/u62cbh39z/bfv.jpg[/url]
then to various zone valves distributed throughout the yard.

The valve in the picture above seems to be the only possible cause, so could it be the culprit?

mrfixit

Thursday, April 7th 2016, 11:55am

Yep that's probably where the problem is.
I see two shut off valves with broke off handles. See if you can open those up. One on either end.
You may wind up replacing the whole ball of wax. It looks fairly old.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 7th 2016, 6:43pm

Looks like a Febco 805 with different testcocks

vellis

Thursday, April 7th 2016, 10:32pm

WetBoots is right on it being a Febco 805. Thanks for posting that.

Confirmed it was the D.C. Valve causing the problem. All the plastic parts inside are pretty much shot. Is there anywhere I can get replacement parts to rebuild it, or am I going to have to replace the whole thing?

thanks for both of your help.

mrfixit

Thursday, April 7th 2016, 11:33pm

You could try Hydroscape or Ewing but I ran across this statement.

The 1" Febco 805 double check valve assembly began production in 1979 and was discontinued in 1988. The 805 was replaced with the 805Y. Bronze body with non removable check seat. Repair parts are no longer available for the original 805 backflow preventers.

http://www.backflowpreventer.com/Categor…05/Repair-Parts

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Apr 8th 2016, 4:55am)

vellis

Friday, April 8th 2016, 7:13am

I guess there is not much demand for replacement parts for a valve that has been out of production for 30 years :)

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 9th 2016, 3:23pm

If all you needed were rubber replacement parts, you might luck out searching for "Febco 905315" - but replacement plastic parts would be another story.

Rate this thread