You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

insight3fl@gmail.com

Unregistered

Friday, March 11th 2016, 10:17am

Action Machine MS series of threaded fittings all leak

I purchased the parts to make a screw together system for serviceability in lieu of using glue on my pvc as I have always done. I was told no tape was necessary. I tried and all leak. Took them all apart and used tape. Some leak some don't. Took the leakers apart and wrapped many more layer of tape... much better but still have some drip drip drip.

What is the benefit of using these if they leak? I would have been better off using cheap threaded nipples and tape to begin with??

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, March 11th 2016, 1:18pm

Everything has to be clean, and everything has to straight and in line. Deviate from this just a little, and you get in trouble. Tape on the union threads helps you tighten them more completely, but if the fittings aren't in line with each other, you may never be able to force them into line.

mrfixit

Friday, March 11th 2016, 2:56pm

Maybe you bought the wrong threads. I had a guy a couple of weeks ago install a valve using hose threads. Yep it leaked.

insight3fl@gmail.com

Unregistered

Friday, March 11th 2016, 4:52pm

Maybe you bought the wrong threads. I had a guy a couple of weeks ago install a valve using hose threads. Yep it leaked.

Thanks... but not the problem. I know the difference between thread types The alignment is perfect. You can mess up a 1 inch nipple in a valve....but that having been said, the one horizontal union to standard pvc pipe thread could be off a hair. If that is the case, then I am not sold on these. I will go back to cement and slip pvc and live with the requirement to leave "slack" and have to cut out the problem if or when it develops.

Thanks for the replies.

Canada_Guy

Monday, July 4th 2016, 10:44am

I've had good success (as a homeowner, so limited experience) with pipe thread sealant (dope) on most threaded connections, including PVC. I use the teflon type thread sealant.

This is a good video that helps explain why to use thread sealant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prsgzY7aypE

Here's the type I've used.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.pro-d…1000421131.html

Rate this thread