You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bencfitnessS

Unregistered

Wednesday, March 9th 2016, 9:48am

Orbit 24v timer and activation of the pump issues

So I have everything done and my neighbor helped me with the pump and timer box. he cut the cord for the pump and spliced it and put into the part of the timer that said "pump" We tested the power of the pump and it was 120v. So we know why the timer won't activate the pump. If I plug the pump into the wall it runs until my 5 gallon drum is filled then turns off.

My question is, Did I get the right timer? Do I need to plug the pump into the timer? The valves were working when we didnt have the pump plugged in. So not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

mrfixit

Wednesday, March 9th 2016, 1:06pm

I'm not a pump expert like Wet Boots is but it sounds like you need a pump relay. It plugs into the timer where it says pump. The timer turns the relay on then the relay turns the pump on.
No worries. Boots will help you. This is just food for thought til he gets here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 9th 2016, 7:38pm

Mr Fixit described it perfectly. The controller powers a pump relay, and the pump relay powers the pump. At no time will the pump wiring touch the controller. Also, the Pump Relay needs to be one with low power consumption, because a standard relay might draw enough power for the Orbit controller to think there's a short circuit, and then it will just display an error message and shut down.

Rate this thread